Netscape and Yahoo/Hotmail problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Netscape and Yahoo/Hotmail problem

Can anyone suggest why the all new Yahoo and Hotmail email does not view well on my Netscape 7.0 (oh and IE) on my MAC and PC.
    Anything listed within the frame is way off to the right and I need to scroll over to see it.
    Could my Java be not their cup of coffee?
    Is is a question of firewall prohibition?
    I tried emailling them but they either want money for questions or they completely ignore me........

Re: Netscape and Yahoo/Hotmail problem

Define "view well." Is it really just a problem with scrolling off to the side?
    Last edited by Yawgm0th; 11-03-2004, 06:05 PM.

Comment

Screen resolution could be one "bump in the road" what resolution are you using?

Comment

"View Well" = The web page layout for email consists of the static frame and the specific data (my folders and emails) which fills out the remainder of the frame. What I am getting is when I say, click on a folder (to the left) when the page refreshes I see a horizontal bar extend completely across the screen where it should only highlight the folder I clicked on. What this does is make the emails list or individual email display outside the frame - to the right. I could take a screen shot if useful.

On my PC the screen resolution is set to 800 x 600 - likewise the MAC. I tried altering this a while ago as it was suggested as a possible fix but it made no difference. This error occurred when Yahoo changed the look of the email and as I never alter my screen resolution I assumed that it was something to do with the software which Yahoo (& Hotmail) have used to update the email program. I also use 3Deep E Color on the PC but not on the MAC. Incidentally, on the MAC OS X 10.2 using IE 5.2 this problem does not occur, but it does on OS 9.2 using Netscape 7

Comment

A screenshot would be helpful.

I could also suggest you just switch to Mozilla Firefox (in my sig) for your Windows computer. It will open 99% of web pages that IE can in my experience, and the only thing I ever have to use IE for is Windows Update. It has a superior interface (most people that use it say so, anyway), and you shouldn't have problems with popups or spyware of any kind.

Comment

Uploaded one screen shot as jpg. http://forums.tweaktown.com/attachme...hmentid=&stc=1
            Another to follow.
            Attached Files

Comment

Second view shows the contents way off to the right.
              Attached Files

Comment

That's... odd. Does it look the same way in IE?

BTW, try Mozilla and see if it has the same behavior. It's based off of Netscape code, but is far superior to both IE and NEtscape in many way.

Comment

IE was having the same effect, but when I checked it this week it seems to have got better.....
                  Incidently this page - where I type this message is also a little wider than the screen but it has no scroll bar.
                  I will download your Mozilla and let you know the outcome.
                  Attached Files

Comment

This is the view from IE 5.50
                    My netscape is Vs7.0 (Mozilla/5.0)
                    Attached Files

Comment

Hmm.... Not quite sure what's causing this, but let's see if we can figure it out.

For starters, why is that IE 5.5? You should be using 6...

Also, what are the specs of both machines? The specific operating systems, in particular (was it 9.2 on the Mac with problems?).

When did this start happening? The only major Hotmail and Yahoo updates I've noticed recently were the increase in storage capacity, and that didn't even happen on my MSN account...

Are you running the latest version of Java? At this point, the Java initially included with IE (illegally, might I add) will simply not work with many sites and you need to install Java from Sun Microsystems.

What kind of security software (spyware removal/prevention, antivirus, firewall) are you running, both on the Windows and the Mac?

Is the windows maximized and the computer at 1024x768 when this occurs? If not, try it, although I'd say you probably have had it at 1024x768 while maximized at this point, based on what your second post said.

Have you tried the latest version of Mozilla Firefox (should have specified Firefox)? It is Netscape-based, but I've no problems like this with it in Windows 98, 98SE, 2000, or XP.

Can't tell you much about Macs, but the fact that this occurs on both a Mac and a Windows machine is likely some software you either are running or aren't running and need to be.

Comment

Working...
                      X