Need help - not detecting DNS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need help - not detecting DNS

My computer is having a problem connecting to broadband. When I plug in CAT5, LAN connection shows that it is connected. However, when I try to use IE or FTP, it says "there is no connection." I ran ipconfig to find out that it is detecting IP address and Gateway, but not DNS (this part was left blank). The setting is "detect automatically" for IP and DNS.

I got this computer in July, but did not get to try LAN until recently because I don't have a broadband connection at home. Does anyone have any idea how this can be fixed? Your advice will be greatly appreciated.

Model: Dell Inspiron 5150

Re: Need help - not detecting DNS

what kind of router do you have?

try logging onto the router...

open up IE window, type in the IP of the router and log on. try to look for a status tab which should show you the ip addy, gateway, subnet, and dns server numbers. from there you should be able to release and renew.

make sure all number are there, then connect the pcs to your router, make sure the tcp/ip is set to obtain auto., then reboot and try it.

how long have u had the router for? i just had a router take a crap on me last week and it was doing exactly what u stated above

Tom

Comment

Working...
    X