Setting Up Home Network

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Setting Up Home Network

My wife's wireless-G laptop connects with my desktop for internet access but I'm having trouble getting it to share the desktop's printer. Can anyone tell me how to configure these together for a shared printer??? DLink DL-524 router plugged into gigabit lan connection on my Abit IC7-G mobo, Epson Stylus Photo 1280 printer (USB connected). If not, where might I find directions on complete setup of a home network.

Thanks.

PS: I'm a total newbie to networking.

Re: Setting Up Home Network

When you run the Add Printer Wizard (Control Panel\Printers and Faxes) there should be an option to install a network printer. Make sure you're on the same workgroup, though. Assuming you're running XP on both machines, you can change the Workgroup the computer belongs to in Control Panel\System by changing the name. However, they are probably both on the defualt MSHOME workgroup.

Comment

Also, make sure you get on the machine with the printer actually installed and set it up to be shared. Simply go into the properties of the printer and go to the "Sharing" tab and set it up. I had a bugger of a time getting my machine to print to my daughter's printer through my home network until I checked things out and inadvertantly forgot to share the stupid printer.
      Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
      My Toys

Comment

I got my first computer in 1996 and was so taken by the technology that I subscribed to 2 computer magazines and soon became the guy every one in my world came to for computer info. But I hated all the space eaten up in those magazines by article after article about networking. I thought, "Spare me. I'm a home user and don't need to know anything about networking."

A month ago I bought my wife a laptop. I then had to figure out how to link it to my desktop's internet DSL connection. A week later she asked me how she could print from it on the printer connected to my desktop. Maybe I shoud've read those articles afterall.

Anyway, thanks for your help. I successfully connected everything and my nerdship is secured.

Comment

Working...
        X