Help configuring a Belkin Wireless modem/router

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help configuring a Belkin Wireless modem/router

Hi, I've just bought the above router and it's all setup via network connections, but to enable it as a network I have been told via the documentation to goto the website http://192.168.2.1 The only problem is, it appears to not exist, everytime I try to connect I just get this page cannot be displayed, I've Googled the IP addres and found several threads, but all basically tell me to connect there first, but of course I cannot.

Can anyone help with this?

Many Thanks
    Last edited by Marlowe1899; 07-14-2004, 07:13 PM.

Re: Help configuring a Belkin Wireless modem/router

Hmm, I'm not exactly sure how you have your set up but you need to make sure you are plugged into the router when you type in that address, it isn't an actually website it's a login script to access the routers settings. If you are plugged into a router open up explorer and type in 192.168.2.1, the http isn't required. Let me know if this doesn't work, I have a few routers here and I believe one of them is a Belkin and it seems to run fine when I attempt to login via 192.168.2.1.

Comment

Ok, I'll try to explain.

First off I'm a complete novice at networking and what I'm trying to do is share a broadband connection between my Desktop and my Girlfriends Notebook.

What we have so far is the ADSL phone line connected to a Belkin ADSL modem with built in wireless router (Product code: F5D7630uk4A), then a cat 5e lead from the LAN port 1 to my RJ-45 socket. The Notebook has a Wireless Notebook network card (CardBus) (Code: F5D7010uk).

And that pretty much is as far as I have got. The documentation with the router told me to plug in all hardware and then connect to the above address, obviously I had no way of connecting to the internet so I created a new connection and used that to connect to the site, but with no response. (I can connect to the net and go to every other page, just not that one)

I've tried to detect the Notebook without success, basically I have all the hardware installed but have no idea how to get the two comps to see each other and I cannot connect to the address.

Do I have all the required hardware, or do I need anything else? If not, how the hell do you set up a network?

Sorry about all that, like I said I'm a complete network novice and really don't understand how to connect two comps via a wireless conn.

Many Thanks

Comment

Well I still cannot access the site.

Comment

Hi,

I've also just bought a Belkin Wireless Modem/Router and seem to be having the same problem as yourself with accessing 192.168.2.1. Have you managed to resolve this yet? If so, share the secret as this is driving me mad! Thanks.

Comment

Give this a try and see if it works for you type in http://192.168.1.1

That might work for you.
            Last edited by Ronnie_USA; 08-15-2004, 08:59 PM.

Comment

a) make sure your computer's IP address is in the right range (if you are trying to get to 192.168.1.1, your computer needs a 192.168.1.xxx address, where xxx = 2 - 254)

b) some Belkin routers will come with DHCP on by default, so if your computer is set to obtain an IP automatically, then it'll have an address already in the correct range, plus the default gateway should be set to your router's address. You can check this by going to a command prompt and typing ipconfig.

PS Ronnie - I think you meant 192.168.1.1, not 198 ;)

Comment

I had the same problem. Just seen your chat and thought I my be able to help.

The problem lies with your internet settings in internet explorer. Unfortunately Belkin's inadiquate manual doesnt cover this eventuality or many others.

Try changing your settings in Tools/Internet options select the security tab and reset to the default settings. It is possible that IE is blocking the page 192.168.2.1 as it is located locally and not on the web and contains ActiveX controls. Which, if you have increased the security settings may stop the page from loading.

As it is a locally held page you do not have to be connected to the internet.

Hope this helps

Comment

hi all!

i have just now got home with the same router!! i use aol broadband,and like you all are saying it was a nightmare to set up!!
                  i called the 00800 22355460 number and they were very very help full! its now all working fine!! try that number from a uk land line!!

hope this helped

Comment

Yup, I just bought the above router for my AOL connection and had trouble setting it up, but I found that after I'd gone into Internet Explorer and removed my default connection, IE would go to the routers address, and the intended web page that the router uses for configuration. But there's plenty more confusion to come! The instructions are a joke, and Argos advertise it as easy to install and that it only takes a couple of minutes? Box-shifters I think.

My problem now, is that I've got it all working with 2 pc's, but it won't access certain sites/pages in Internet Explorer, notably ebay and msn, infact sometimes even google wont load. They all work in AOL's crappy browser, but I ain't using that. I'll try the 0800 number, if not it's back to the shop it goes!

Comment

Originally posted by DynamiteDan
                      My problem now, is that I've got it all working with 2 pc's, but it won't access certain sites/pages in Internet Explorer, notably ebay and msn, infact sometimes even google wont load. They all work in AOL's crappy browser, but I ain't using that. I'll try the 0800 number, if not it's back to the shop it goes!
                      I had the same problem using AOL and found that if you set the MTU setting in the WAN connection settings on the router to 1400 the problem is solved. Also change the timeout option to = 0

Also upgrading to service pack 2 (if you're on windows xp) may help.

Comment

Im having the same trouble with IE only viewing some sites, stopping MSN, stopping XP updating / registering. AOL works fine tho!!!

Ive done those two settings tho, MTU = 1400 and TIMEOUT = 0

HELPME :)

Comment

i have a wireless belkin router and the laptop with the wireless card connects without any problems its fine but the desktop im using right now has problems for one i cant connect to aim......i cant even ping the laptop or net send to it....please help me configure my router to fix this annoyying problem

thx, from a 15 year old

Comment

Comment

Did you check gateway address in router?Open configuration in IE and chech does your's router you have internet connection?

Comment

Working...
                              X