Argh Need Helpp!!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Argh Need Helpp!!!!

Hi guys...Just today my cousin came up to stay with me and he brought her laptop up with her and i thought how bout we play some games over the LAN?

So we decided to hook my 15 metres of crossover cable to her laptop from from motorola surfboard modem whihc is connected to my pc.

_______

Her internet doesn't seem to be working or LAN?

can someone please tell me what to do and where to go to set it up
    Im running xp professional and shes runnin xp 2000..
    any help would be greatly apreciated

thanks brad

** plz note ** she is not set up wiht any internet provider she just uses it for her school etc...but i have the net on mine
    Last edited by illicit; 07-09-2004, 03:48 AM.

Since you are using a crossover cable to connect both PC's, I'm assuming you either have 2 NIC's installed in your desktop or you are using the USB connection from your Surfboard modem to your PC. In either case in order for your cousin to be able to access the internet your PC, since it is the one connected directly to the cable modem, is going to need some sort of a software router or just simply enabling ICS (Internet Connection Sharing). In order to that you need to go to Start, Control Panel, Network Connections then right click on the connection that you are using to connect both PC's, go to properties, Now you need to make sure that Client for Microsoft Networks, File and Print Sharing, NetBEUI and TCP/IP are all installed and checked for this NIC. Next thing is to configure the network address for the connection that is being used to connect to your cousin's PC. Select the TCP/IP tab then go to properties, change the IP address to 192.168.0.1 and a SubNet mask of 255.255.255.0 and click ok.

Now go to the connection you use for the internet, right click on it and go to properties, you only need TCP/IP checked for this connection. You should also see a Sharing tab at the top of the window click on it, then click then check the box that says something like enable connection sharing. Once you are do click ok and close all the windows. This should be it for your PC.

For your cousin's PC you want to make sure she also has Client for Microsoft Networks, File and Printer Sharing or Microsoft Networks, Internet Protocol (TCP/IP), NetBEUI installed and checked. Now go into her TCP/IP properties and maks sure that both obtain IP address automatically and obtain DNS server automatically are checked, if they aren't check them and it may ask you to reboot. Now she should be able to surf online, if she isn't, open up internet explorer click on tools, then go to internet options then go to the connections tab and make sure nothing is checked in any of those boxes, if you still have problems try checking auto detect settings.

This is of course the way to do it w/o buying any additional software/hardware. You could always go buy a Router which would be ideal if you plan on LANning alot in the future with other people besides your cousin.

I hope this helps!

Comment

Working...
    X