Help me! Wireless router and my pci modem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help me! Wireless router and my pci modem

I want to by a laptop and have it wireless for the internet. My problem is that the imodem on my desktop is a PCI card (internal), i also have a ethernet card. I was wondering if i plugged the wireless router in the ethernet card I could get my internet on my new laptop? I hope my question is clear... Thanx :D

No, it wasn't very clear. Do you have a wireless router? Is the desktop on dial-up?

Comment

On my desktop I have a PCI DSL modem (internal) and a ethernet card. I was wondering if i can get the internet on my laptop trought a wireless router with this set up. Or do I buy a external modem?
      Thanx

Comment

an external modem would make it easier, but it's not necessary.

you can use the wifi router as a local AP. simply connect a patch cable from your ethernet card to the LAN side of the router. Do not plug it into the WAN port. Turn off DHCP on the router and enable it's wireless functions. Give all devies a static IP address (that includes the ethernet card, the LAN half of the router, and the notebook's wifi card). You will also have to turn on Internet Connection Sharing within XP. That should do it (off the top of my head).

Like I said, it would be easier to buy an external modem and connect the router to it, but it is do-able.

Comment

Thanks a million. Will try and see what happens.

Comment

Working...
          X