Networking help?!?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Networking help?!?

Im useing windows xp and a linksys router trying to hook up 2 computers how would i go about getting the 2 computer to work with each other?

Both computers are sending and receiveing, but if i try a lan game start a sever with one computer and try to join on the other computer, game dont show up? Sorry Big Noob :cry:

Comment

Did you try the network setup wizard (in Control Panel\Network Connections)? If not, you should. Also make sure your built-in firewall is disabled. Also in Network connections, right-click the icon that says Local Area Connection and click properties. In there, click the advanced tab and make sure the Internet Connection Firewall box is left unchecked. It would also help to know what game\games you're trying. You could be doing something wrong in-game.

Comment

Battlefield Vietnam is the game, and what do i use under network connectings or what type of connecting do i pick?

Comment

Just do what I said in Network Connections if you didn't already (I can't get much more specific there....). As for Battlefield Vietnam, I don't own it and can't help you much there. :(

Comment

Damn then i must be doing something wrong, did all of that they are both sending and receiveing but how can i test it to see if it is working? Tryed a diff game Warcraft 3 over the network and no go. :?

Comment

You haven't gone through any Windows XP tweaking guides, have you?

Anyway, how do you have the cords setup? Let's say you have a 4-port router. You will have four LAN ports, and one WAN port (you'll be able to tell which is which). Plug the two computers into two of the LAN ports. If you want an internet connection, plug the modem into the WAN port. Assuming the router is powered, everything should work at this point. If not, try holding down the reset button on your router for thirty seconds, then unplugging it and leaving it off for a minute. This should reset the route, in case the settings have been screwed around with so that your games won't work.

Comment

I have a 4 port LAN Router frist computer, is hooked to port 1 is coming form a gigabit lan port on the computer, and computer 2 to port 2 on the router and form a 100mbps port.

Comment

Try what I said with resetting the router. Also try plugging in the cable modem and check if you have internet access.
                  Have you used a Windows XP tweaking guide?

Comment

Cant try to hook to the net damn modem is usb only :( And no i have not used Windows XP tweaking guide.

Comment

Make sure you try resetting the router if you have like I said.
                      After doing that, try to use file sharing between the two computers. To do this, go to My Computer and open up Network places. If both computers are plugged in, there should be a folder called SharedDocs on [whatever the computers name is here]. If not, you might have a connection problem.

Comment

Ya i see the folder, has the computers name on it that im on but i cant open it but on the other computer i can open that one.

Comment

Well double-check that they both don't have firewalls on. Also make sure they don't have any extra software firewalls installed (such as Zone Alarm).

Go to start, run, type in services.msc. Make sure the following three services on both computers are set to Automatic:
                          Server
                          Workstation
                          Network Location Awareness (NLA)

Have you tried doing what I said with the router (holding the reset button for thirty seconds, unplugging the router, then plugging it back in after a minute)?

Comment

Nice! ty for the help lol the fire walls where on and i did the reset on the router and it worked ty Yawgm0th for all your help :lol:

Comment

Working...
                            X