Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Not enough CPU power for full speed modem operation?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Not enough CPU power for full speed modem operation?

I was wondering how much CPU power do you need to get a normal PCI (software) modem to work at full speed. I just bought this 56k PCI modem to my cousins pc and the max download speed I could reach with it was 4kb/s. They had external 56k modem before and it downloaded 5-6kb/s all the time. Their pc has Pentium II 350Mhz cpu, 64Mb memory and Windows 98SE. My friend said that the CPU is too slow for the (software) PCI modem. What do you guys say? :?:

while a winmodem does require more of the cpu than a standard hardware modem, 350 Mhz would be far more than enough power to run it.

You should probably try tweaking the modem, and make sure you have the correct drivers. Changing phone lines could also reduce the speed. For example, at a previous residence i could get nearly a full 56k on one line and other the other could never get more than 28.8. However, 4 Kb/s on dial-up isn't that bad, but 6 Kb/s is excelent for 56k dial-up.

Comment

Comment

1) check on Manufacturer's website for minimum processing power requirement. that is the first place to look actually but 350MHz should be good enough.
        2) look for alternate drivers on Google. you never know what you can find there. i have Motorola SM56 PCI modem and when i bought the modem, Motorola didn't supply the drivers for XP (no even on their site). now they have drivers for XP which don't work so i had to look for alternates. i would recommend searching a bit...
        Latest Microsoft Security Updates.
        Last Updated:
        10th MARCH

If you are a security freak: Use Microsoft Baseline Security Analyzer (NT/2000/XP/2003)
        ======================
        jabber : [email protected]
        =======================
        Linux user since: April 24, 2003 312478
        yabaa dabaa doo...
        Customized for 1024x768

Comment

Working...
        X