D-Link Dl-714+ Router with adsl questionss

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• D-Link Dl-714+ Router with adsl questionss

I have an adsl connection which i have shared with a few pc through this d-link 714+ router.

The connection on the host should be considered decent. However the gaming experince on the pc's connected to the host is very bad. Host connects to bnet at average 200 ping but the client (correct word here ?) has very bad ping 1000-2000 ping. Even at times when the ping is okay ... the stability is very bad. Freeze in games and other occurs very often.

I would appreciate it if any ideas, advice or comments can be posted to help me out. I am not computer illiterate ... so throw everything at me ;D

I play around with pc settings and learn on the way .. i will look at old posts in this forum as well. thnx ^^

Added : Running windows 98 second edition, PPPoE ( i think ), ISP is www.tm.net.my, using Streamyx and router is mentioned above.

Head over to www.dslreports.com and run the speed test and tweak test and take their advice. Im sure someone from these forums might be able to help, but I know their forums are bursting full of very smart broadband people,so you might get a quicker reply unless Beefy - God of all networking is around :devil:

Comment

I'll wait for Beefy. ^^

Comment

If you are using the router to split your internet connection, your pings should not be that high. how many computers do you have gaming at one time? Also, have you tried different servers?

I don't quite understand what you mean by Host and Client? You have a game server, and a client. The latter being your computer(s) in your house.

If you are asking if the router is slowing your traffic down to a crawl, I'm going to say with 99% certainty that it is not. Most likely, if you are connecting with more than one system, your upload or download speed might be maxed, or possibly the server is bogged. It isn't rare to have a great connection to the server (low ping) but it being overloaded running the game server. Hope this helps!!
        [space saving sig]
        AMD 0wn3z j00!
        [/space saving sig]

Comment

Originally posted by Fatguy3
          I know their forums are bursting full of very smart broadband people,so you might get a quicker reply unless Beefy - God of all networking is around :devil:
          WTF? When did this happen? I'm just a lowly admin. I don't actually know anything.. :)

Comment

Umm, lemme get the facts in order here.
            Form your first paragraph i deduct that you have setup that looks something like this:
            Internet-------MainPC---ROuter---<===other PCs
            am i right??
            Also are all the otherPCs wired or are they wireless?

Comment

Yah thats right kane2g.

All the others pc are wireless to the host/router.

Comment

kane2g's pic is right? Why do you have a PC between internet / router?

Comment

^^ I was kind of wondering the same thing myself.

Comment

Working...
                  X