Router and Freelancer=no go?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Router and Freelancer=no go?

I just bought myself a switched router. DLinks DI-704P. I know Linksys is better but for $30 i really didnt care. So everything works fine, except playing games online. Freelancer to be more specific. Im using PPPoE from the Router to get an Always On connection, and ATM only have 1 PC hooked up to the router.

My problem is, when I try to look at the internet servers in the game, i get none. It tells me that im connected, but no games show up. Ive tryied setting a DMZ for my IP, as well as opening the required ports (2300-2400) via an IP Filter, all to no avail. I could not find any manual port forwarding either.

Does anyone have any tips? Everything worked fine for my before, and it works when I connect my modem to Port 2 on the router and dial-up via windows. Odd that windows actually works better for something:rolleyes:

Anyways, its just really pissing me off becuase when i eventually do get a network going, it will be almost useless becuase i either wont be able to play games, or i wont be able to connect to the internet, so id like ot solve the problem before my return date is up;)

i just downloaded the manual for your router. Try going to Advanced > Application and filling in the necessary details.
    TweakTown SETI@home Team

Comment

I have the DI-704, I think the only differnece between yours and mine is your's has printer support (?). It has been an excelent router, so I'd have a hard time ageeing that Linksys is better at all. But I must also admit that I have always used it with broadband and havn't tried dial-up with it.

Anyway, I do have a point in here somewhere... oh, right... just go to the Dink website and check out their FAQ, there is probably an aswer there

Comment

Thanks guys... I actually have DSL, sorry i forgot to mention that i guess. But my ISP requires me to "Dail Up", though it is literally an instant connection once i click connect.

I tryied using the application tab to avail. Im not sure what im doing wrong. Im pretty new to networking so im sure there is a way out there. There is also a possibility that its just the game too i guess. Maybe ill try reinstalling it while using the router.

And your right in assuming that I have the printer support.

Comment

Actually, Andy, I have a nother question. On the applications page, what does the "Trigger" field mean? Its something to detect when the appication needs the ports, correct? So how would i know what trigger to set for the game?

Comment

Thats what the manual says.

My interperetation of this is:
            Enable / Disable: Enables / Disables the port forwarding
            Trigger Port: The port of the computer that the data needs to go to
            Trigger Type: The protocol for above
            Public Ports: The port you want the public to be able to see
            Public Type: the protocol for above
            Special Application List: Presets for popular programs
            TweakTown SETI@home Team

Comment

Working...