Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• phone dsl or high speed cable??

hello,
    i'm wondering which is better, my high speed cable from time warner, or the sbc dsl phone line service? dsl is 15.00 month cheaper and i'm thinking of switching...............thanks, brian

i believe cable is generally faster, but needs a dedicated phone line, where as ADSL (Asynchronious Digital Subscribers Line) doesnt, allowing phone and data connections simultaneously.

thats a factor to consider...., also how much speed your after etc....:confused:

Comment

You dont need a phone line for cable but time warner down here sux...so its up to u

Comment

well my current hookup is through the cable company (coax type cable), and it screams! but i was thinking about the sbc(ameritec) phoneline dsl they show on tv ads now, and wonder if its generally as fast as cable, or what. they claim its about the same but......?

Comment

recent I had to make a choice between SBC dsl and ComCast Cable ....I ended up choosing Cable and I'm glad I did. At the time I did some research on both and the more I read about SBC and it's dsl service the less I liked. I don't know about time warner service, but I'm willing to bet you will be happier with it over sbc's dsl ...besides, AFAIK cable is usually a better option anyway

Comment

I too use cable and am greatly pleased with it. I had a buddy who decided to go with SBC DSL service because of the costs involved... he changed back to cable in under a month.
            Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
            My Toys

Comment

I have been really pleased with the support from SBC with there DSL.

Comment

I've never seen dsl, but everytime it rains it seems that adsl goes bye bye.

Comment

dsl goes bye bye when it rains? dag that'd suck lol....its pooring here now, yet again...

Comment

ok, thanks people!! think i'll stay with cable.........thanks for the input:cheers:

Comment

i have dsl and i love it.....no problems here:thumb:

Comment

Everybody has to realize that some phonelines in this world can be up to 100 years old or just generally crappy, phones have been around longer than that. That would be why sega of japan only used 33k modems in their dreamcasts and over here we got 56k modems. In my city, we never got cable until the 70's. I have never had a problem with the actual cable lines but have had plenty of modem/dsl problems over the years, going back to the mid 80's with my old 800baud. If the phone lines are underground the corrosion/crackle problem is less likely. And underground lines tend to be less than 15 years old. In the house I live in now, dsl/dialup is out of the question. Even my dreamcast has problems with the crappy phone lines from 1930. When the cable company installed my internet, they put in all new cables right from the pole. The phone company "claimed to enhance the line" lol. These wires are just old and gross. Thats why I use cell phones even when at home.
                        athlon xp-m@2456mhz(12x204)
                        tt aquariusII liquid cooled/ arctic silver ceramique
                        asus a7n8xe-dlx
                        thermaltake xaserIII lanfire
                        bfg 6800gt
                        seagate sataII 250gb/seagate 7200rpm 160gb ide
                        samsung dvdrw
                        2x1024 kingston hyper-x pc3200/ windows xp pro sp3
                        logitech mx518/ logitech wingman rumble
                        2x samsung 955df 19"/ canon i960
                        creative x-fi fatal1ty 64mb/ altec lansing 251-5.1
                        mushkin 550w