NTFS compatibly.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NTFS compatibly.

If one computer on a network is running NTFS and the others are running FAT32, can they still communicate and exchange files?
    :shrug:

ntsf can see the fat files BUT the fat system won't see the nt system. if you run something like partition magic you could have a nt and fat partition on one disk and share files between the partitions then share with the other computer.

so in short yes and no.

without a partition= no

with a partition= yes

hope that helps
    night

Comment

Thanks Nightstalker.
      I just used the ole FAT32. Also am setting an older box up with Linux. If I'm smart enough to learn it, I might just run Linux on all of them.

:cheers:

M$ :snip:

Comment

if I remmeber correctly, when sharing over a netwrk it doesn't matter what the partition is formated with, you should be able to see and work with it just fine.

Using NTFS and FAT32 only becomes a problem when they are on the same system AFAIK

[b]Also am setting an older box up with Linux. If I'm smart enough to learn it, I might just run Linux on all of them.
        nah, all it takes to learn linux is some patience (and a few good websites). I bet you will enjoy it, I know I do.

:cheers:

Comment

Originally posted by [size=6
          benue[/size]]
          If one computer on a network is running NTFS and the others are running FAT32, can they still communicate and exchange files?
          :shrug:
          Yes as all communications are done by network protocol (usually TCP/IP).

Comment

I'll throw in my agreement to the above. We use a network at the office that runs of an older NT based file system and can still used shared resources with machines running Win95 with no problems. File system on the shared network drives is all set to NTFS.
            Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
            My Toys

Comment

If you have two drives on the same computer though....

NTFS can read FAT32, but not the other way around.

Comment

you can read any filesystem over the network. Most of webservers are *nix machines.
                You can also see NTFS and FAT systems in one OS, as long as the OS supports both FS.

NTFS can read FAT32, but not the other way around
                I think youre thinking 9x installed trying to read NTFS partition.
                XP supports both filesystems so as long as you got it, you're set.

BTW if you move files or folder with special permissions on them from NTFS to FAT32 youll loose the permissions, and all the files will be open to anything that you want to do with them. :2cents:

Comment

right kane my bad i was reading it as a 9x system

sry.

Comment

Working...
                  X