Windows 2000---"Random Network"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Windows 2000---"Random Network"

>I have used windows xp for a while but decided to install windows 2000 Pro on my machine. Right off the bat my network became unstable. It seems like I have a 1 in 5 chance that I would connect to the network when i turn on my computer. I formatted and reinstalled windows but the same thing happens.

>Could it be an issue with the gigabit LAN on my MSI Neo-2?
    >PLEASE HELP me someone.

Pentium 4 2.8C
    MSI Neo-2
    512 MB RAM
    ATI Radeon 9700 PRO
    SB Audigy 2 Platinum
    OS------not sure yet

did you install the correct drivers?

Comment

>Yes i installed all the correct drivers (the ones from the MSI disk).
      I even went to MSI's website and updated the gigabit drivers but that made no difference. I never had this problem with Windows xp. The problem occurs with and w/o the windows 2000 Pro service packs.

>I consider myself fairly competant with computer and i'm stumped.

Comment

Network becomes 'unstable'? Please explain. Also, what kind of 'network' are you trying to connect to? Work / home, small switch / router, etc...

Are you connected to a gigabit network, or just a standard old 10/100 network? If it's the latter, then it wouldn't hurt to change the auto-sensing speed to Full duplex / 100 manually. I've seen before that same gigabit cards have a little trouble autosensing with some networking gear, causing hassles like this.

Comment

>The network usually doesn't work when i turn on my computer. Like i said it's just a random thing to have the network work when i turn on my computer.
          >I'm on a small home network with 4 other computers. I'm using one belkin 10/100 router and a linksys hub. The gigabit card is running at 100 (auto, not manually set).

Comment

>When I don't connect it doesn't even recognize that i have a network adapter in my computer. This is by far the weirdest thing i have encountered with windows.

Comment

If it doesnt see the card when you can't get on the network it could just be that your network card is buggered and its more a case of not being able to get on the network when your card dispapears than the reverse. Try borrowing one of the cards from another of the pc's on your home network and see if that works, at least it'll narrow the problem.

Comment

Working...
              X