Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How does mapping on a network work?

:confused:

you want specifics or a general explanation?

Comment

I want it all:geek: :geek: :geek:

Comment

Think of it this way.
        Your LAN is actually an Intranet. The mapping is nothing but an link (redirector) to a directory on your Intranet.

Comment

All mapping does is configure a drive letter to a network resource / share. So, for example, if someone had a shared folder on their computer called STUFF, you could 'map' that to be any spare drive letter on your computer (example, T:). Then, whenever you do anything to T:, it will be associated with that shared folder.

Comment

when you map a network drive, your computer treats a shared drive/folder on another PC or server as another local dive. With the right permission sets, you should be able to read/write to a networked drive the same as if it were on your own PC... just slower. When you map it, your PC saves the netwrk route to that shared drive so it is available to you the next time you reboot, assumeing the computer the sharded resource is on, is up and running.

I'm sure someone else can give you more details. You could also try to search google and the M$ site for more information.

Comment

so If I mapped a couple of hard drives for diffrent things on multiple computers it would be as if they were all on one

Comment

Working...
              X