dual dialup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• dual dialup

I remember something in a post ages and ages ago about using two dialup modems to call the same ISP to increase bandwidth...any one know anything about this? I am sooooo sick of being stuck at 28.8 that I am willing to try it out and see what happens....

Yes, it can be done-shotgunning-I think they call it. Personally, I do not know exactly how though, mainly because I DO know that most ISP's will shut U off if they catch it, or at least send you a nasty "don't do that" letter. Why, don't really know, probaly something to do with bandwidth. And, their MAY be some ISP's that don't care. That's all I NO bout it.

Comment

there was a thread on this very topic about a month or 2 ago I think..you may want to search for it...it's more typing than I care to do right now to explain it again

simply put, you need to modems, 2 seperate phone lines and have them both dial the same phone number

but Poor Man's ISDN, or Shotgunning, or whatever you want to call it is frowned upon by most ISP's and you may or may not get a warning before they fine you or drop you as a customer

just do a quick search on Google for 'shotgunning modems' or something if you don't find the old threads here

Comment

thanks....I will give it a shot..and screw the ISP's they are doing nothing to upgrade the service in this area so it serves em right..

Comment

Originally posted by CheeZmonZter
          and screw the ISP's they are doing nothing to upgrade the service in this area so it serves em right..
          some Net service is better than no service isn't it? if this ISP drops you I hope you have another one you can go to :)

Comment

Plenty of ISP's here, I currently use MSN which I doubt would be interested in letting me use two ports.....but I dont have to stay with them....there are prolly about 20 or so in town to choose from, plus the big national companies such as MSN and ATT...I am jsut sooooooo sick of being stuck at slower, than granny driving with a cell phone stuck to her ear, that I am pretty much willing to do anything!!!!

Comment

2 main points here;
              1.) the modems have to support shotgunning
              2.) the ISP has to support shotgunning

either of those 2 items are not compatible with shotgunning, it is not going to happen.
              simple as that.

It's not a question so much of, does the ISP like it. It is a question of, does the ISP's hardware support it.

If it is set up to do so, it seems reasonable to assume that they allow it - but, check with them first.
              The reason a diamond shines so brightly is because it has many facets which reflect light.

Comment

I know...I am starting to call the ISP's in my area to see if any of them support it or not. Its something that I thought about doing ages ago but never looked into it further. I now know that MSN does not support it!

Comment

I daresay that list of 20+ ISP's is going to get whittled down mighty fast.

Good luck to you:)
                  The reason a diamond shines so brightly is because it has many facets which reflect light.

Comment

Let us know what you find out. I am curious. If the ISP's find it legal, I might consider paying for 2 accounts to do shotgunning. Also I read somewhere that a company called "Diamond" or Diamond modems or something like that used 2 make some of the best shotgunning modems. In that same article, I remember that "soft" modems will kill your computer & USRob./3COM modems don't work. This is 2nd-hand info though & a couple years old. Let us know.

Comment

well I have found ones that do here but only for 150 hrs a month...and this computer is online al ot more than that!!!
                      so the search is still on!!!

Comment

well it looks like for me to do it I would have to limit myself to 150 hrs a month. Then dont offer more than that. unless you want to pay double. From what Ifound out the Diamond modems were junk, they offered the modems but they were such a nightmare for the company they decided to drop them, They were called SHOTGUN modems, hence the term shotgunning.

Comment

PULL!
                          :snip:

Funny, I just found this thread looking for clues on how to set up my DSL network (It may be a bit faster Cheez, but it still sucks, as there's only one choice, the same phone company that took 5 MONTHS to change my number once) and earlier I'd found reference to "modem stacking" or "linking", and was going to suggest it as an alternative for your bandwidth woes. Ever do anything else with it?
                          I found this page for something called MultiLink and there seems to be some good info and more links there. As for myself....I think I'm gonna have to hire a tech :cry:

Comment

Working...
                          X