No announcement yet.

networking over....dsl.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

OKAY OKAY ................... I EAT MY WORDSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!

He still needs a 4 port router darnit!!!!!!!!!!!!

Chez

PS Thanks beefy. lol

Comment

He doesn't need one. It's just the easiest solution. :D

Comment

Would you want to Log on like dial-up when you have dsl evertime you wanted to check your email?

The system sucks. I had so many people call and ask why in the heck do they have to log on to a DIRECT, ALWAYS ON CONNECTION!

Then poor old ladies that installed their proprietary software would say "I clicked on the rocket, but it didn't go anywhere!"

It is the worst ISP I have ever seen. Not to mention the PPPOE software, it was a joke.
        With XP, you can bypass all of that, but we would get fired if we told the customer that.
        It sucked to say the least.

Thanks though for the corrections. Like I always say, nobodies perfect, and you learn something new everyday.

Chez

Comment

i know its 1 of the suckiest isp's, i got comcast, verison and earthlink but i shall not get on any of those for some reasons.......so i need a router with a switch? can i get on internet with both at same time?

Comment

With a simple 4 port router/switch, as chezman mentioned, you plug in your modem on one side, and up to four PCs on the other side. The router handles all the connection information, so any computer that plugs into it will have access to the connection.

Chez, it's pretty sad if you get fired because you're helping the customer to a better solution, but I understand what you're talking about. I've seen people here do the same thing.

Comment

It was a company policy. We couldn't even really suggest to them that they didn't need the proprietary Yahoo browser which won't let you change the home page on. They were never told if they merged their free yahoo account and then quit the service with SBC YAHOO that their previous free account is no longer available to them until 6 month purge was up and the name would be free again.
              I could go on and on and on. It was a joke.
              I quit. I don't need to work, I just wanted to do something I love, work with computers and help people out. It turned out I wanted to tell every customer to cancel their joke of a dsl always on connection, but you first have to log on service and go with a REAL company that uses DHCP or regular DSL.
              It was so they could oversell IP's. They knew if people had to log on, they wouldn't be on all day long, so they could use 100 IP's ina pool for 150 customers, if they all logged on, they could just add more to the pool. A typical redback router housed about 5-8000 IP's. They probably had 9-10,000 people running off it.
              The work arounds were a joke if one went down. So people running business's were screwed until they got it back up. Especially if they were static and ran a network, like Dr.'s offices. Can you imagine. The loss of man hours was incredible. We had redbacks go out constantly, especially in Texas.
              Then their tools for us to use wouldn't work half the time, so we would write our own code so we could at least do an ATM ping and stuff. It was ridiculous.
              SBC YAHOO sucks, they won't last.

Chez

Comment

The one,

You ALMOST had it right. IT IS THE WORST ISP's. Not one of....

Just pick up a 4port DSL/Cable router. Any brand is fine in my opinion. I run a wireless network with belkin and I love it. Some people say they aren't good. I haven't had a single problem since I installed it and saved about $150 in rebates and the difference in the competitors prices.

D-link, netgear they all have them. Check bestbuy, they usually have specials on em' or staples, and office depot. For some reason I have found the best prices on networking stuff at retail stores like those.

They are simple to install, just follow the directions, and post here if you have any questions.

Chez

PS There is also a networking quide on the main site here www.tweaktown.com I read it, its not bad. With XP, networking is so easy it literally does it all on its own. You should have tried networking with Windows 3.1. You would have learned a heck of a lot about how networking works then!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Working...
                X