Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• a really special problem

hi, everybody

i have a really special problem. i surf the internet everyday and i mostly visit the same websites.
    About 14 days ago it started. one of my favorite newssite didn't update anymore even they update every 30 minutes. I got for about one week the same Homepage! only, if i opened a column, there were the updated contents. i checked it on another computer and there it worked. after one week it started to get normal. but now i have the same problem again and worse two more websites have the same problem.
    i tried antivirus, ad-aware, spybot etc.. i really have no idea what's the problem?
    I have a pt4, os : win xp pro, ie 6.0 ( i tried it with opera and got the same result--- nytimes from last thursday )

many thanks for your help

mark
    :snip:

Delete ya cookies (IE properties) as ya cookie folder is likely full. This happens to me after I've done some extra heavy surfin' for a few days.

Comment

all cookies and temp. internet files are deleted.

thanks for responding

Comment

Have ya tried to repair IE? :?:

Comment

since it is a recent problem than most probably it is not a settings related problem but i m taking my guess out here.

Open your browser (IE). Click on the 'Tools' menu. Then go to the bottom of this drop-down menu and click on 'Internet Options...'. In the middle of the box under the 'General' tab, you will see a button under the heading 'Temporary Internet Files' that reads 'Settings' ... click on this 'Settings' button.
          Make sure that IE is set to check for newer versions of the page 'Every visit to the page'. Click 'OK'.

usually it is set as "Automatic"

do tell us what you did that started this problem, example installing a new software or something...
          Latest Microsoft Security Updates.
          Last Updated:
          10th MARCH

If you are a security freak: Use Microsoft Baseline Security Analyzer (NT/2000/XP/2003)
          ======================
          jabber : [email protected]
          =======================
          Linux user since: April 24, 2003 312478
          yabaa dabaa doo...
          Customized for 1024x768

Comment

asklepios, i tried it but it didn't change.

i didn't do anything special during the time it began. i already tried to restore, but the same.
            is it possible, that this might be a problem of the isp?

Thanks for your help.

Comment

hi,
              i just talked to my isp. they told me, to press Ctrl+F5 and the problem was solved. But they couldn't tell me, what cause this problem?
              do you have any ideas, what could have cause the problem?
              Thanks a lot.

mark

Comment

Isn't that just the k/b shortcut for refresh? :?:

Comment

Plain F5 is refresh... I have no idea what Ctrl F5 is... maybe Clear History, or Force refresh ?

Comment

actually u r not alone.

i have this problem too. i have heard that some ISP's cache a few popular pages or pages that are frequently visited. i even get it with TT...i have to hit "Ctrl+F5" everytime i edit my posts so as to view the edited post otherwise it won't be updated till atleast 10 minutes.

another difference that i have heard between simple F5 and Ctrl+F5 is that when you press Ctrl along with F5, the browser breaks all the current connections with the website's server and connects again thus showing you updated content but i could be wrong :shrug:
                    Latest Microsoft Security Updates.
                    Last Updated:
                    10th MARCH

If you are a security freak: Use Microsoft Baseline Security Analyzer (NT/2000/XP/2003)
                    ======================
                    jabber : [email protected]
                    =======================
                    Linux user since: April 24, 2003 312478
                    yabaa dabaa doo...
                    Customized for 1024x768

Comment

I doubt this has anything to do with your problem, but... are you running though a proxy server? sometimes proxy servers can be slow to update their stored pages and you may not see an updated page for hours, and sometimes days, after is has be updated

Comment

That's a valid point. If a proxy is getting a fair few requests for the same page, in the end it will just pass out the copy that it has in it's cache, until someone does a refresh. But not many people work behind proxy servers...

Comment

friends, thanks a lot.

i'll let you know, if their are some new informations.
                          until then, CTRL+F5

by the way this is really a good forum.

mark

Comment

I was a dsl tech for a while and ctrl f5 is a forced refresh, new page check.

Check your settings and make sure the check for proxies are all unchecked.

Are you on cable, dsl, or dial up?
                            And who is your isp?

It is a setting in your IE options that is checked that shouldn't be.
                            We had to help customers with this stuff all day long.
                            Also while you are at it, if you make your internet temp folder smaller it helps in the long run. I run mine at 64-128mb. Default is 10% of your total drive. WAY too much info being stored.
                            Also you can set it so it deletes you temp. folder, cookies, and history on every shutdown of IE. It is a reg. tweak I use. Works great.

Chez

Comment

Working...
                            X