setting up a small network

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• setting up a small network

i'm trying to setup a mini network so i can maybe start SETI or something on my laptop. i've got 2 network cards in my main PC. both PCI slot ones because i don't have onboard network, but i'm getting a error installing the 2nd network card.

Ethernet Controller: The data is invalid.

what's this error and how can i stop it?

what OS are you using?
    also why 2 NICs in one system?

Comment

XP

and i have 2 NIC's coz i can't afford a hub atm and a friend of mine did the same thing but he had onboard and a PCI slot NIC

and i'm just trying to use a crossover from my main PC to the laptop.

Comment

i think what Kane2g is getting at is, if u are only gonna have a laptop connected to your main PC, whats the point of a second network card? you are gonna only use 1 :confused:

Comment

kane2g and Thoric:you need 2 NICs to set up ICS.
          while the desktop is pluged into the net via one NIC, the laptop can access the net via the 2nd NIC

make sure you have the proper drivers for both NICs and make sure they are both seated properly in the PCI slots....now unistall the drivers for the NIC you are having problems with...remove the NIC from Device Manager...reboot and install the NIC with the correct drivers

Comment

He prolly wants his broadband as well as the network.. SETI does require an internet connection, doesnt it??:p

Comment

i think it does to download and upload wu's

but I think SETI is a waste of time and resources anyway :rolleyes:

Comment

i might as well do that. can i like get 2 NIC's(i got 1 onboard and 1 somewhere) and get another nic for the other computer and then connect the other computer to main and have internet on both?(+ filesharing from main to 2nd or printer sharing?).

Comment

yep, you'll need a crossover cable (not a patch cable) from the main comp to the 2nd one...unless you get a hub or switch to go between them...and run window's own Internet Connection Sharing setup and you'll be on your way

if you are running XP, ICS can be set up by launching the Network Setup Wizard

Comment

yeah i've got it, that error i had to do some registry hack or something. pretty weird o.O it's coz i didn't have full control of the PCI slot or something.

but it's all good now, network is up and running.

Comment

Originally posted by minibubba
                      kane2g and Thoric:you need 2 NICs to set up ICS.while the desktop is pluged into the net via one NIC, the laptop can access the net via the 2nd NIC
                      I guess I assumed he gots dial-up, so thats why the 2nd NIC was kinda weird.
                      But I would still suggest getting a linksys router, you can pick it up used for like 40bux, and it will allow you to split you broadband and make a small network a lot easier.

Comment

Working...
                      X