How do I get rid of network?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do I get rid of network?

I recently graduated from college. While there, my laptop was configured for the university's network. Now that I'm gone, however, I don't need to have any of the university's network stuff on my computer.

My question is, how do I delete all network things associated with that school? It's annoying because even my domain and computer name when I log onto my computer (XP Pro) are school related. Can I change my domain and computer name without harming my computer? How do I ensure that I've deleted everything associated with the network?

One more thing, although I no longer use the school's network, I have a wireless connection, along with my roommate, to a router connected to a cable modem. I don't want to mess that up.

Thx for the help!

The most thorough way would be to reformat and reload your OS. I just checked my comp and I couldn't figure out a really good way to delete the stuff you mentioned. Xp pro isn't too unpleasant to reload though. I know that after a couple of months my comp collects all kinds of junk I don't want or need.
    However; if you are patient, someone in the forum will take notice and maybe give you a better Idea.

Comment

The domain and computer name issue is easily fixed:
      right click on "My Computer", click the "Computer Name" tab, then click the "Change" button, that will let you change your computer name and select wether to be part of a domain or workgroup

I don't think this will affect your wireless connection

However when you say "delete all network things associated with that school" what network things are we talking about here?
      TweakTown SETI@home Team

Comment

Originally posted by Potatoe2
        The most thorough way would be to reformat and reload your OS. I just checked my comp and I couldn't figure out a really good way to delete the stuff you mentioned. Xp pro isn't too unpleasant to reload though. I know that after a couple of months my comp collects all kinds of junk I don't want or need.
        However; if you are patient, someone in the forum will take notice and maybe give you a better Idea.
        Here is where I'm a bit ignorant. I don't know exactly what network stuff there is on my computer, except with Outlook and when I log in. I don't even really know what a domain or workgroup is. Which one should I have? I tried changing the domain and computer name and it won't let me, even though I logged in as an admin. Is there a way to change my login name? My login name is currently associated with the school, but I'd like it to just be my name if possible. I can't think of any way to do that unless I delete that entire profile.

Thx for the help!

Comment

to change ure login name, goto your Administrative tools, computer management, users and groups and rename your Username as whatever u want it to be. Restart and it should be fixed.

The domain is what thing u are trying to connnect to (i think)
          The workgroup is what 'work group' you are with.

Simply get rid of the domain name and rename the workgroup as "WORKGROUP" which is the default.

it should let you do it, i dunno why. :confused:

Comment

i thought the defualt was "MSHOME"

Comment

ive done a lot of formats (on various computers) using XP Professional and its always used WORKGROUP as the default.

Comment

Working...
              X