Wireless network

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wireless network

Here is the question... I was looking around at some wireless network pda's and so on, the question that i have is when i get one do i need to get a new wireless router at home in order for me to use it on the net or can i just get another wireless card and put it in one of the PCs and have it communicate to the pda and the internet at the same time so that i can go online with the pda though that computer?? also i would like to know if this would be hard/impossible to set up without a router?? thanks

i'd think u want a router..

Comment

ok well i already have a router so buying another one is preatty pointless cause it increases cost but i looked around and i think a wireless Network Access Point will be the best solution

Comment

You can just use point to point wireless networking, instead of adding the access point to the setup.
        Cameron "Mr.Tweak" Wilmot
        Managing Director
        Tweak Town Pty Ltd

Comment

Now I haven't looked into this in a while, but in terms of cost, isn't it about the same cost to get a WAP (wireless access point) as it is to get a router that functions as a WAP? Could be wrong... but yeah, you'd need some form of access point, unless the PDA supports 'ad hoc' mode (which I just noticed Tweak mentioned).

Comment

Originally posted by Beefy
            Now I haven't looked into this in a while, but in terms of cost, isn't it about the same cost to get a WAP (wireless access point) as it is to get a router that functions as a WAP? Could be wrong... but yeah, you'd need some form of access point, unless the PDA supports 'ad hoc' mode (which I just noticed Tweak mentioned).
            I reckon he would be able to use AD Hoc, which was the term I was looking for but couldn't remember ;)
            Cameron "Mr.Tweak" Wilmot
            Managing Director
            Tweak Town Pty Ltd

Comment

ad-hoc will work even if he just adds a wireless bridge and connects it to a port on his router or to a hub connected to a port on his router.

Comment

ok what is ad hoc?? im sorry i just have not heard this before, as far as pda goes i was looking at the Toshiba e740, or perhaps an Ipaq. any way as far as cost goes for wireless cheapest way would be to get a wireless lan card into my pc, then getting a wireless router, finally the most expensive solution would be getting the wap, but looking at today Best buy flyer i am seeing some wierd company by the name of Hawking Tech... selling a wireless router with a 4 port switch for hmm $99.99 cdn next cheapest is M$ and Dlink at 159 then linksys at 199 the wap idea would be well over 250 so i can scratch that now... thanks for responses all :cheers:

Comment

I've never set up a wireless network, but this is what I understand:

There are two ways you can set it up. One of them is using central point(s), such as access points, which act as a central node and allow connectivity to the network. The other option is ad hoc mode, which is basically one big 'free for all' network, where devices will happily communicate between themselves without needing an access point.

Comment

if ur only planning to use the wireless network for ur palm then just setting up an ad hoc network with a wireless card for ur pc to communicate with ur palm is probably best :thumb: But if you plan to add more comps to ur setup its best to get a router/access point :cheers:

Comment

Working...
                    X