Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• which cable modem

Time to get on the broadband action
    Gonna go with cable, just need to decide between the lynksis modem and the motorola surfboard.
    Any suggestions?

Well us Aussies can't help ya there as we're supplied the modem by the cable operators here. :smokin:
    <center>:cheers:</center>

Comment

you have a choice?? my cable provider just gave me one, I had no options.

Linksys does usually make good modems though :)

Comment

yeah I got stuck with the Nortel Networks CM100 optarse gave me... big ass finned beast :)

Comment

Originally posted by [size=7
          Hughesey[/size]]
          yeah I got stuck with the Nortel Networks CM100 optarse gave me... big ass finned beast :)
          That they are but mine's been goin' strong for over two years now. :smokin:

Comment

If you buy your own modem they charge you a bit less on the monthly fee (no rental fee).
            The motorola and linksys can each be had for about $100.

Comment

With Optus@Home in Australia, when you sign up they give you two choices. The first choice is to pay A$10/month higher subscription fee, but the modem is subsidised (ie cheaper installation fee). This also comes with a 12-month contract. The other option is to buy the modem outright for over A$500, and pay only A$64.95/month (cheaper when you use other Optus services as well). There is no contract on this plan, as Optus doesn't have to subsidise a modem.

And as far as I know the only modem Optus supplies is the Motorola SurfBaud..... has anyone been supplied a different one from Optus? :?:
              What came first - Insanity or Society?

Comment

i got a diff one, i got an RCA cable modem with my optus install:
                TweakTown SETI@home Team

Comment

Actually Albinus there are 4 or 5 different modems used by Optus.

Comment

It might be a regional thing then - all my friends in Brisbane over the past 2 years have been supplied SurfBaud modems with their connection :confused:
                    What came first - Insanity or Society?

Comment

I would go with the Motorola Surfboard. On all the Cable calls that I have taken. I've never seen one of those go bad. Yet the Linksys I have.

Later

Comment

The Motorola Surfboard's are great modems, that is what I have

Comment

sounds like the motorola it is... having said that whenever I go into the local computer store they seem to be everywhere... now for some reason the appear to be all out.
                          Anybody running XP with the modem, any driver problems?

Comment

there aren't any drivers for an ethernet cable modem, it's just a bridge

the drivers you'll need to worry about are the NIC drivers

I run XP and yet to have problems with NIC drivers :)

Comment

Thanks Wuntvor...
                              I figured that out last night doing some reading (can always read more!). Looks like drivers only apply to the modem if you plug it in via USB.
                              Can't wait till tomorrow (may not make it to work on friday!)

Comment

Working...
                              X