Router Problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Router Problems

I got a linksys router and not only does it make a small noise (high pitched, not TOO loud) it seems to affect my download speed. How much should it be affecting the speed of the connection? I mean...I got a new speed..instead of 342 its now 744-1.5 why are the benchmarks the same, is it the router?

so your speed has gone up and you think this is a bad thing?

you could reset the router, you'll just lose any changes you've made

Comment

No the speed of the line "supposidily" but its still benchmarking the same...

Comment

ok high pitched noise is normal, as far as benchmakrking its really hard to say whats going on there i mean as long as your speed on your download/upload has not gone down then just not worry about it

Comment

Originally posted by Maxpowers
          ok high pitched noise is normal
          The last time somebody told me that, my car broke down after 2 days:p

Comment

Yeah it doesn't seem to be normal, two of my friends dont make a noise...and it does matter if it isn't faster. I bugged the crap outta my Dad to call SBC and tell them they are ripping us off, so we changed (still SBC tho) and its not any faster. Even though the rated D/l is 2-5 times faster and the upload is twice as fast...

Comment

Just a point of fact:

Linksys Routers are plagued with problems. IMHO they should have recalled the whole lot of BEFSR41 series. I purchased two of them within a 1.5 year span. One of them has 3 dead ports in the switch, and the other.. well lets say it functions nicely as a clay pigeon.

High pitched whine is bad in relation to damn near everything. Both Linksys made no noise whatsoever. I've only heard a 'whine' coming from my computer twice. One when the monitor shorted out twenty seconds later, and the other when a motherboard exploded.

If you've got 50 bucks, hop on over to mwave.com and pick up a NetGear RP614NA router (in the states). Outside of it look for the NetGear RP614NA. You won't be displeased. For a Router/Switch combo under $100 bucks, it performs beautifully.
              Chris "Raven"
              News Crew - TweakTown
              <!--
              <font size=1>
              <font color=green>Main Beast:</font>
              - Athlon XP 1800+@1701MHz | EPoX 8KHA+ | Corsair 512MB XMS3200C2 | GeForce3 Ti200
              - 2x80GB WD 7200RPM | 40x12x48 Sony CDRW | Pioneer 16X DVD
              - Swiftech MCX462+ / Tt Smart Case Fan 2 | Antec 1030SX case w/ 431W Enermax PSU
              </font>
              // -->
              "Look at life like your morning cup of coffee. You might have one every day, yet you still enjoy it."

How to ask a good question

Comment

Never heard a router whine; sounds bad. I'm currently using a Belkin router/switch which I've seen recently for $29us after rebate. I bought a Dlink router/switch for $10us after rebate a couple of weeks ago. I've seen several Linksys units that work fine but I do have one that the router part quit working but it still works like a switch.

Comment

Thanks...I think that is my linksys the one with all the problems...thanks. My main concern is the slow down of speed. Maybe its my modem; I still have the modem from my old speeds. But, I don't that would effect it because Pacbell uses bandwith capping

Comment

Working...
                  X