Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can you messge other networked computers?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can you messge other networked computers?

We have a home network with 3 computers. If I send a file to my wife's computer, say a picture she want's I have to get up and go into her office area and let her know that I sent the picture to her home "shared" folder.

Is there a way to just send a little "pop-up" or other flashy message to her computer, telling her that the file or such has been sent and it at her computer?

Would be so handy.. even handier at work!!

depending what operating system you've got, the old "net send" works a treat.

Go to Run and type the following:

net send <computername> <message>

ie: net send BeefyPC Hi.

Comment

THANKS!! Yep it worked.. I got a screen (black portion) for just a bit and then it went away.. i go look on her computer and it has messenger there saying "HI" I did net send Pamela HI! her computer's name is Pamela. Well I'll be switched!!! And her computer has that funky screensaver going as well!

Thanks again sooo much!!:D :D

We have Windows XP Home, and her, XP Pro.. our computers at work are all XP,except for the UNIX SCO server.

Comment

Originally posted by Frost
        THANKS!! Yep it worked.. I got a screen (black portion) for just a bit and then it went away.. i go look on her computer and it has messenger there saying "HI" I did net send Pamela HI! her computer's name is Pamela. Well I'll be switched!!! And her computer has that funky screensaver going as well!

We have Windows XP Home, and her, XP Pro.. our computers at work are all XP,except for the UNIX SCO server.
        I know you can use the smbclient commnad in linux/freebsd to do net send..

smbclient -M receivers-netbios-name

SMBCLIENT(1) SMBCLIENT(1)

NAME
        smbclient - ftp-like client to access SMB/CIFS resources
        on servers

SYNOPSIS
        smbclient servicename [ password ] [ -b ]
        [ -d debuglevel ] [ -D Directory ] [ -U username ] [ -W
        workgroup ] [ -M ] [ -m maxprotocol ] [
        -A authfile ] [ -N ] [ -l logfile ] [ -L
        ] [ -I destinationIP ] [ -E ] [ -c
        ] [ -i scope ] [ -O ]
        [ -p port ] [ -R ] [ -s ] [ -TIXFqgbNan ]

DESCRIPTION

-M NetBIOS name
        This options allows you to send messages, using the
        "WinPopup" protocol, to another computer. Once a
        connection is established you then type your mes-
        sage, pressing ^D (control-D) to end.

It may work under SCO but I suspect it is a subset of VisionFS [SCO's version of a Windows SMB server client]..

Comment

I also found some softare out there for messaging over a LAN. One is free and works pretty well, called Message PopUp II. Found it at downloads.com Another one I tried worked pretty good called LanTalk XP Only thing is it cost money.:rolleyes:

I liked it's feature pretty good, but this last one, msgpopup II really works nice, is free and only drawback is you have to have it installed on another computer on your LAN for you to communicate to that computer.. kind of like having ICQ.. someonelse must have ICQ for it to work. Same with this. But, since it's free, it doesn't take that long just to install it.

Comment

Originally posted by Frost

you can do this on your SCO server to message windows clients [to inform them to log off or whatever..

use VisionFS, the command is:

[root@scooby /usr/vision/bin]# ./visionfs message
            Valid arguments are: --to [ <computer> | <workgroup> ]
            [ --touser <receiver> ] [ --from <sender> ] [ --quiet ] <message>
            where:
            --to [ <computer> | <workgroup> ]
            Names the computer or workgroup to send
            the WinPopup message to
            --touser <receiver> Puts <receiver> in the To: part of the
            message header
            --from <sender> Puts <sender> in the From: part of the
            message header
            --quiet Doesn't report confirmation of sent message
            <message> Specifies the message to send

# ./visionfs message --to MACHINENAME This is my message

if you have SCO's Advanced File And Print Server [AFPS] installed instead of Vision FS you can use regular old NET SEND as AFPS has its own ports of all the NET commands..

Comment

If you check out download.com you'll find quite a few network messaging progies..:D and alot are freeware

Comment

download.com has stuff for SCO Unix now? wow they really have progressed haven't they. last i heard they were going to remove Linux ISO's becuase of all the FUD about the SCO/IBM lawsuit..

Comment

Beefy.... sorry for digging up this old post, but I can't get 'net send' to work on XP... in fact, I can't get it to work at all....

Is that feature linked into the 'Messenger' service that has been abused and is now disabled?

Any thoughts?

Comment

Originally posted by zeradul
                    Is that feature linked into the 'Messenger' service that has been abused and is now disabled?
                    the messenger service and the 'net send ...' are one in the same.

However, while goofing off in class the other day I realised that with messenger disabled I could still send messages but I could not recieve them. It proved to be rather useful against an annoying punk that was spamming everyone in the classroom at the time
                    However, i should note that was on freshly installed win2k sp3 PCs & network. I don't know if it would behave the same on winXP or not, but considering how very similar winxp and win2k are I'd assume the results would be the same.

Comment

Working...
                    X