Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• XP/98 Dual boot probs?

Last night I installed XP to have a dual boot with 98SE.<br>
    I shut it down as normal but i woke to the sound of my computer booting up! (My CPU Fan is quite noisy to start off)<br>
    I DID only just boot then because i heard the post boot beep etc.<br>
    I pressed nothing and have no idea what happened.<br><br>
    There are no other problems except that.<br><br>
    If anyone has an idea please post back.<p>
    Thanks, //alias

ok what im getting from this is that u installed xp on 98 then u went to sleep and your computer turned on by its self waking u up... right well then u decided to boot up once u are awake and u pressed nothing and nothing happed, ok maybe its me but i dont know what your problem is. If u are having trouble booting at all are u sure u installed both of the windows in a different dir?? also can u say what is going when u boot the system?? what errors do u get if any or just a blank screen, sorry i cant get enough info from your post

Comment

I have a partitioned drive. 98 is on C: and XP is on D:.<br>
      About the error, I get an error when booting into 98. <br>
      It says something about EMM is not installed, press any key to install it. <br>
      It installs, but next time you boot its there again.
      :confused:

//alias

Comment

Did you use any type of boot manager software, or did you let windows handle it? And what did you install first? Win 98 or XP? I only ask because I dual boot with the same setup you are looking for.

~Bug

Comment

Dont worry about it any more, i fixed it, it was in bios, i had wake on lan and modem on.
          Dont ask my why it affected it, it fixed it tho

//alias

Comment

alias

The reason to why your PC turned on by itself was for the very reason that you had "Wake on Modem" enabled.

You find when this option is enabled, everytime someone attempts to call your home phone number this will cause your PC to turn on and boot being if the modem is connected and turned on.

Pretty cool hey, you can be on the way home and ring your house therefore causing your PC to turn on so when you get home you are ready to begin work on your PC ASAP.... :D

Comment

hmmm, now that u mention it there may have been a phone call...
              but i wonder y it never happened before the XP dohickey....

//alias

Comment

Working...
              X