question about black edition and SB870

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• question about black edition and SB870

Hey everybody!, thanks for reading my post, I'm looking to get a little feedback on a build I'm doing and was hoping to get some of all your deep technical wisdom in on my choices, I have a couple of specific questions but any comments on my build are appreciated. I've already bought the parts and am waiting for shipment which is this week and then will be starting the build, here are the specs...

AMD Phenom II 955BE C2 125watt
    Asus M4A87TD/USB (usb 3, sata 3, nb870/sb850)
    G-Skill F3-12800CL7D-4GBRH 1600mhz 7-7-7-24
    Sunbeam CR-CCTF "Core Contact" cooler
    HIS ATI HD 5770 (pciEx16 1Gb GDDR5)
    WD WD6401AALS 640Gb Sata2 32mb cache
    XCLIO Stablepower 500W ATX2.2
    Rosewill Wind Knight Gaming case
    Lite-on 24X CD/DVD burner
    Acer 23" LCD monitor
    ($990)

my main considerations are
    1. the 955 supports 1333mhz, I've got the 1600 becuase the board supports it without overclocking the HT, will there be any issue running at that speed with this proc?

2. i've read in a couple of places that this mobo doesn't "support all of the black features" what did they mean? I thought 'black' was primarily just an unlocked multiplier? does the north bridge on that board miss out on features of the 955?

3. XCLIO is a good brand and I know that the PSU can get close to load but that i wont have to worry as much about signal noise, I do plan on putting an SSD raid0 in it eventually, and upgrading the proc to an 8 core when available, I dont expect I will need much more for wattage at least not with a good power supply? any opposing opinions on that concept?

lastly
    4. seating this cooler, is it true that non silver based paste needs to "set" before lockiing down the heatsink? I'll have a liberal amount on both die and cooler to prevent air bubbles, will it require any time to set? it's tuniq X2 paste

I have built about 7 systems in the last 10 years mostly for other people, on paper I have put a few together just to keep my hands in it, but without really researching all the parts all the time it's hard to know if there will be any incompatibilities with this and that, the ram is on the QVL for the mobo, but the board is not on the "approved" list for the proc but this does not worry me. I also heard this board doesn't like to read 1600mhz's SPD correctly and will drop it to 1333 without manually setting the timings, ram has changed a lot since the last time I tweaked those. waiting till I have the bios in front of me before I start to get into that!
    I thank you before hand for any thoughts or opinions you may have on this build

Re: question about black edition and SB870

1. the 955 supports 1333mhz, I've got the 1600 becuase the board supports it without overclocking the HT, will there be any issue running at that speed with this proc?
    You will need to make some manual adjustments to voltage and raise it to 1600 from 1333. Also timing adjustments may be necessary. 'Depends" The type of and amount of memory may come into play as well. Sometimes you need a slight increase in NB voltages also.
    2. i've read in a couple of places that this mobo doesn't "support all of the black features" what did they mean?
    Some of the Black Edition Features are in AMD Overdrive Here is more on that. Drivers & Support | GAME.AMD.COM
    Last edited by artdrivers; 07-19-2010, 01:24 PM.
    http://forums.tweaktown.com/gigabyte...ench-test.html
    http://www.gigabyte-usa.com/FileList...ios_qflash.pdf
    Phenom II 945 @ 3.2Ghz w/Thermaltake Big Typhoon Pro 14 CPU Cooler
    Gigabyte GA-MA78GM-S2H rev.1.1 F11
    Sapphire 3870HD / 100225L / 512MB / ddr4
    4GB / Kingston / KHX8500D2K2/2GN / 5-5-5-18 / 1066Mhz
    (2) WD Caviar / WD2500AAKS/ 250GB in SATA RAID-0
    (1) WD Caviar / WD2500AAKS/ 250GB in SATA AHCI
    (2) IDE's 1 8XdualDVDRW 1 52x32x52x CDRW
    Antec /Neo HE550 / 550W
    Mid size ATX case with show through panel
    2) 80x80 front fans (1) 120x120 rear fan and small nb fan
    Microsoft comfort curve USB keyboard 2000 ver.1.0
    Logitech G500 USB mouse
    Monitor: CMV937A
    7.1+2 Channel High Definition ALC889A
    Dual boot Windows 7 32bit home & Windows 7 64bit home

Comment

hey thanks for your reply, I looked at what you gave me and it looks like I will have to really go over Overdrive with a fine tooth comb to make sure I get the most out of this proc, most of my last over clocking work was done with only the FSB (we didn't have Ht back then kiddies..haha) so I am doing lots of research to get ready for the tweaking of everything to just how I want it.

So there was one weird thing about this build I wasn't sure if the case had PSU screw holes for both up and down and when looking it has just down, so for all 4 screws to fit my psu fan will need to face the bottom of the case, the case I have has a grill port right at the bottom with a mesh covering, think this will be enough access to install the psu fan down or will I have to drill holes for the fan to be pointing up?

again any thoughts appreciated ! getting excited to start putting it all together!

Comment

I don't know what to say about adapting the case and installing the power supply upside down.
        I would prefer a better power supply, something stronger for the OC. About 650 watts. One that would fit the case properly. Also I would pay close attention on the +12 rail the single rails with a high amperage are better. Also I would be sure it had a 2X4 ATX 12volt connection. I believe that XCLIO has a 1X4 ATX 12volt connector and (2) 18 amp +12volt rails.
        http://forums.tweaktown.com/gigabyte...ench-test.html
        http://www.gigabyte-usa.com/FileList...ios_qflash.pdf
        Phenom II 945 @ 3.2Ghz w/Thermaltake Big Typhoon Pro 14 CPU Cooler
        Gigabyte GA-MA78GM-S2H rev.1.1 F11
        Sapphire 3870HD / 100225L / 512MB / ddr4
        4GB / Kingston / KHX8500D2K2/2GN / 5-5-5-18 / 1066Mhz
        (2) WD Caviar / WD2500AAKS/ 250GB in SATA RAID-0
        (1) WD Caviar / WD2500AAKS/ 250GB in SATA AHCI
        (2) IDE's 1 8XdualDVDRW 1 52x32x52x CDRW
        Antec /Neo HE550 / 550W
        Mid size ATX case with show through panel
        2) 80x80 front fans (1) 120x120 rear fan and small nb fan