Dead GTX 260?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dead GTX 260?

I'm not sure what happened, but my computer has been acting odd ever since I played Bad Company 2 upon release. First, I got some artifacts in game and thought that was odd. Then yesterday I started having issues, I would play Bad Company for a while and my screen would turn white and the game would still be up and then it would crash, with a pop-up that said "Nvidia kernel mode driver has stopped working and successfully recovered". This happened frequently while playing games and only while playing games. This didn't affect just BC2, it had similar crashes in CS:S, CoD4, etc. I left BC2 idle as I cooked a meal for ten minutes and came back to see that the power button on my monitor was yellow. I moved the mouse and nothing happened; I proceeded to do a force reboot and I don't get a boot screen or any sign its "alive".....it just stays on with a blank screen until I force a shutdown via the PSU switch. *sigh* I'm assuming I have a dead video card?

Edit: I should also add that I received a System_Service_Exception 0x3B BSOD with the nvidia kernel being the problem after crashing on CoD4 once. A poster on a thread off Google mentioned this kind of error could be memory corruption?
    Last edited by spiral_out; 03-04-2010, 02:05 PM.

Re: Dead GTX 260?

eVGA Video card?

I have an eVGA GTX 260. I get the same thing. The artifacting I get will be either a white screen with a few hundred random black pixels, or a black screen with a few hundred random white pixels. I have to force a reset with the power switch. It only started happening after I updated my driver to the newest driver, when I was crashing constantly I swapped back to the older driver.

I took it to the local tech shop here to see if they could test it, and they told me that they didnt notice any problems. But, like you said it's intermittent. Happens occasionally.

Comment

So, as it turns out my card was dead and is being sent off for warranty replacement.

I recommend you download the benchmark program called "Furmark". Put it in stability mode and let it run for 5-10 minutes, if it starts spiking as gets nearing its peak, chances are your card is dead, assuming you have already ruled out any other possible issues.

Comment

nice information

Comment

Working...
        X