Fried my PSU?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fried my PSU?

So yesterday my new components for my PC arrived i started off by installing q9400 and geforce gts250 1gb by evga.

As i started the computer it smelled like something had burned inside the PC and the PC almost instantly rebooted and kept doing this untill i turn off the power I instantly thought it was the q9400 or the new geforce 250 gts.
    I installed back my old components e5200 and radeon hd 4670 respectively.
    The pc started up again and i thought damn the new components must be broken.
    Later on i tried to boot up but the same problem that i had with the new components appeared with the old ones as well, im pretty sure the power supply smells burned
    So did I fry the power supply by connecting the new components I connected the gts250 addiotional power cable directly from the pci-e power cable from the power supply.
    Was this the right way to do this or did I mess something up and destroy the power supply
    Setup is:
    gigabyte ep 43 - d3sl
    core quad 9400
    geforce 250 gts 1gb
    Antec earthwatts 500w
    500gb hard drive
    DVD drive
    4gb 800 mhz ddr 2 memory

Re: Fried my PSU?

So was connecting the PCI-E cable from the power supply directly to the graphics card right way to go or was the PSU broken to begin with. Surely earthwatts 500w is enough for this setup?

Comment

Re: Fried my PSU?

So instead of getting another earthwatts 500w from the store after returning it I got a LC-power 550w 65550gp v2.0 silent giant green. instead im really having doubts about this psu will it do any good? only 16A and 18A on the 12v rails made me think and the brand doesnt seem too good either what ive read on the internet

Comment

Working...
      X