SDRAM Problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SDRAM Problem

My system used to have 64mb SDRAM so I bought a stick of 64 MB SDRAM I put it in firmly and closed the clips. When I go to properties it still says i only have 64mb RAM instead of 128 MB RAM. Please help me!

One thing to do when installin' new ram is to insert it and pull it back out a few times first as some companies like to add a protective coating over the contacts to prevent corrosion. If that doesn't help try clearing the CMOS. :smokin:
    <center>:cheers:</center>

Comment

Also consider that on some older motherboards, you have to physically tell the BIOS how much memory is installed. I don't know if this applies to you since we don't knwo what mainboard you have, but it's something to consider.
      Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
      My Toys

Comment

Ok guys I tried the following, I started it up after re-inserting the stick, windows (XP PRO) started up then reset itself and it kept doing this everytime windows started. I took out the chip and started the comp with the existing one and it worked fine. I then noticed that the new chip I bought (64MB PC133, 168 pin SDRAM DIMM) is slightly smaller in width than the existing chip.

Please Help me!

P.S What is the CMOS and how do i make changes to it or clear it?

Comment

If you have the manual for the motherboard that will tell ya how to clear the CMOS or find the make and model of the board and download the manual but usually there's a jumper to do this with.
          It could also be a bad stick of memory or ya board does like havin' mixed memory fitted to it. :smokin:
          <center>:cheers:</center>

Comment

Working...
          X