Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• changing cpu's

Hello;
    I am trying to avoid a potential problem issue. I currently am running a 1ghz Duron on an epox 8kha+ mobo. Will there be any problem simply swapping out the Duron with an Athlon xp1800 cpu. I know about changing the jumper from 200mhz to the 266mhz. Has anyone else already upgraded a cpu on the epox 8kha+? Thanx

It's been a while since I made the change from a T-Bird to an AthlonXP, so I can't remember if I had to reinstall... but I don't think so. I remember that the OS had a fit with the new processor, but after I got all the settings ironed out, I think that it recovered.

No promises...

Good luck. :)
    Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
    My Toys

Comment

thanx, that is pretty much what I thought. I will just wing it. I just dont want to have to flash my bios at all. I have never done that and will avoid it at all costs.
      Also, why would the os be affected? That is completely stored on the HDD I thought. I have been running 98se and just upgraded to xp and have never seen any settings for the cpu. I believe you, I am just the curious type.

Comment

The os maybe affected due to SSE instruction set that is included with the XP CPU's. That's not to say that it won't work but you may miss out on some performance benefits by not reloading the os. :smokin:
        <center>:cheers:</center>

Comment

It has to do with the OS because when you configure it during installation, it specifies what type of hardware you have and how it needs to talk to different components of the system. Since you're making a rather significant change to the hardware, it can be effected. But I don't think I had to reinstall it or anything... just handled the few quirks that came up when I switched to the XP processor.

Oh... and there should be no need to FLASH the BIOS since the standard version supports the XP processors. Of course, if there are some added features and functionality with the newer BIOS', then it may be beneficial to check into them a little more.

Good luck. :)
          Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
          My Toys

Comment

Working...
          X