Music and pictures corrupt.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Music and pictures corrupt.

I will try to explain as well as I can. My friend has been having some slight computer problems lately so I went over to take a look. The first problem that the screen would get a lot of jibberish on it. Pixels or what ever. I tried a new cable and uninstalled and reinstalled the driver and no go. I installed a new driver and the same. Finally I tried a new video card and it worked great. That is just the first of the problem. I then noticed that one of his hdd on his raid 1 had gone bad so I took it out and got it replaced. In the meantime when I restarted his computer it did a disc check and did some things I had never seen before but it completed the check on the good disc. All seemed to be working well until a few days ago he said that his music was doing crazy things so I went over to take another look. I played a song and it would start in the middle of the song and play a whole nother song. I would play Queen and Celine would come on but it would start in the middle of one of her songs. Not all the songs are like that though. We never did count but I would venture to say at least half are still good. I then just out of curiosity went to his pictures and they also had problems. A couple of them would show up and the others would not. They still showed they had 1.6mb or 2mb in each folder for the pictures but nothing would show up. He mentioned something about some power surges but he is proteced with a battery backup ups from APC. What does it sound like to you?
    Windows 7 Professional
    (2)-ASUS VS248H-P Black 24" Monitor
    CORSAIR Hydro Series H60 (CWCH60) Liquid CPU Cooler
    ASRock Z77 Extreme4 LGA 1155 Intel Z77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard
    Kingston Hyper X Blu 16GB
    Intel Xeon E3-1245 V2 Ivy Bridge 3.4GHz (3.8GHz Turbo) LGA 1155 77W Quad-Core Server Processor
    High Current Pro HCP-750 750W TX12V v2.3 / EPS12V v2.92 SLI Certified CrossFire Certified 80 PLUS GOLD
    SAMSUNG 830 Series MZ-7PC256B/WW 2.5" 256GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive
    3 -2TB Western Digital Black HDD
    Rosewill RDCR-11003 74-in-1 USB3.0 3.5 Internal Card Reader
    1 Asus Blu Ray Burner
    1 Plextor DVD Burner

Re: Music and pictures corrupt.

Well first I would defrag the drives good, with a real (NOT WINDOWS) defragger, such as PerfectDisk.

What AV does he use? Sounds like it could also be virus/spyware related

Comment

Since your friend has a RAID 1 array, can you please list the hard drives he uses in that array?
      Make sure you mention their:
      - Brand name(s) (which company manufactured the drives) [e.g. Western Digital + Seagate]
      - Product line(s) [e.g. Caviar Black + Barracuda 7200.11]
      - Model number(s) [e.g. WD5001AALS + ST500320AS]
      - Capacity (the capacity of EACH hard drive, not the capacity of all hard drives summed up together) [e.g. 500 GB + 500 GB, not 1000 GB]

Also, did your friend make any configuration changes (when the system was working PERFECTLY for him) in Windows before he had any of these problems or did he just start having these problems abruptly without making any configuration changes in Windows?

Comment

Seagate Barracuda ES ST3320620NS 320GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s X2

Actually what had happened is that one of them had failed and then when it restarted sometime (I don't and he doesn't know when) it came back on but now as two separate hdd. I don't know what caused it accept possibly a surge which he said they had experienced because their video card also went bad at the same time. When I tried to re raid that hdd it would not and said the hdd was now bad. When we tested it, it showed it was bad and we got a replacement. We added it to the raid and it works great now except the music and some pictures are out of wack.

The music deal is weird though. You play a song (ex. Little Deuce coupe) and it will start playing but it may be his Styx song and it will start in the middle of the song.

I wonder if a repair would be helpful? Can a repair be done and not lose any info?
        Windows 7 Professional
        ASRock Z77 Extreme4 LGA 1155 Intel Z77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard
        Intel Xeon E3-1245 V2 Ivy Bridge 3.4GHz (3.8GHz Turbo) LGA 1155 77W Quad-Core Server Processor
        High Current Pro HCP-750 750W TX12V v2.3 / EPS12V v2.92 SLI Certified CrossFire Certified 80 PLUS GOLD
        SAMSUNG 830 Series MZ-7PC256B/WW 2.5" 256GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive
        1 Asus Blu Ray Burner
        1 Plextor DVD Burner

Comment

Windows has a utility called System Restore, but it is only associated with the Windows System Environment (the OS's files and folders, such as C:\WINDOWS\system32), meaning that any file other than the files in the Windows System Environment will not be reverted to a previous state. You could give that a try on his PC and see if it makes a difference.

Just remember, in a RAID 1 array, EVERY hard drive is mirrored, meaning that each hard drive in the array stores the exact same data of all other hard drives in the array.
          For example, there are 2 hard drives in a RAID 1 array and HDD 2 stores the exact same data that HDD 1 stores. If HDD 2 fails and HDD 1 still works, then the data should remain uncorrupted.
          So, if this was a RAID 1 array, why is the data corrupted then?
          The data should not be corrupted.

Comment

I agree the data should not be corrupted. The one hard drive went bad and so did the video card. A power surge possibly. I have a APC UPS surge batter backup. Not fool proof I know. I am at a loss as are most people.
            Windows 7 Professional
            1 Asus Blu Ray Burner
            1 Plextor DVD Burner

Comment

What are you on?
              Windows 7 Professional
              1 Asus Blu Ray Burner
              1 Plextor DVD Burner

Comment

Working...
              X