Random Shut Down

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Random Shut Down

Hello, I just got this Laptop used from a friend. He let me borrow it before I bought it, it seemed to work fine. I was curious why the processor speed was so low he told me AMD laptops have this problem that when they aren't plugged in they lower the power to save on battery and there is no way to fix it. He gave me this program that I put on my laptop and it raised the processing speed. I deleted this program from my computer because I was skeptical about it. Now my laptop will randomly shut down at times usually when I open a program. I tried system restore to a random date thinking that would work it will still shut down. I even tried installing vista and it would shut down during the installation process. I'm guessing its a power issue, i'm also thinking it could be a BIOS problem. I'm running windows xp, its an amd 3200, with 1 gig of ram.

Re: Random Shut Down

First off, Vista will have more than a little difficulty running on that system. I don't know if this is what caused the power down, but it may have contributed to the effect.

Have you tried doing a fresh install of WinXP? If it is an OEM type laptop, you should have the little MS sticker with the activation code, just make sure that the installation disk is for the proper version of XP and the installation media won't matter. Of course, it is also a good idea to have SP2 stored on a thumb drive or CD disk if your install disk is not slipstreamed with SP2 already. It is also a good idea to have your drivers set aside on some sort of removeable media, especially on a laptop.

As far as the BIOS is concerned, it sounds as if you can at least run the system for a while. Go into BIOS and reset to factory defaults. I don't think laptops have the reset CMOS jumper available, but I have yet to see a BIOS that doesn't offer the choice of restoring to factory settings. Try this and see if it makes a difference.

Just some odds and ends to try before getting drastic. Good luck.
    Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
    My Toys

Comment

Re: Random Shut Down

Yea I'm trying a fresh install of XP I hope that works. Thanks for your input i'll let you know how I make out.

Comment

Working...
      X