Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Checking compatibility on first build

Hey there

I was looking to see if my first build is compatible and if there is something you guys would suggest to change or add, any input is appreciated. Thanks again guys.

Case: Thermaltake XASER, Armor Series $0

PSU: PC Power & Cooling 510 SLI-PFC ATX12V 510W Power Supply $219.99

Mobo: ASUS A8N32-SLI Deluxe Socket 939 NVIDIA nForce4 SLI X16 ATX AMD Motherboard $229.00

CPU: AMD Opteron 175 Denmark 1GHz FSB Socket 939 Dual Core Processor Model $520.00

HDD: Western Digital Caviar SE16 WD2500KS 250GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive $115.00

RAM: CORSAIR XMS 1GB 184-Pin DDR SDRAM DDR 400 (PC 3200) Unbuffered $122.00

Pri Optical: SONY Black IDE DVD-ROM Drive Model $22.00

Sec Optical: NEC Black IDE/ATAPI DVD Burner Model $39.99

Sound Card: Creative Sound Blaster Audigy2 ZS GAMER Limited Edition 8 (7.1) Channels PCI $113.50

Video Card: XFX PVT70FUND7 Geforce 7800GTX 256MB GDDR3 PCI Express x16 $525.00

FDD: SAMSUNG Black 1.44MB 3.5" Internal Floppy Drive $7.25

Monitor: DELL UltraSharp 2005FPW 20.1-inch Wide Aspect Flat Panel LCD Monitor $492.15

OS: Microsoft Windows XP HOME Edition With Service Pack 2 - OEM $87.95

Total $ 2493.30 + shipping

Re: Checking compatibility on first build

You do not need to spend 200 on a psu.
    CPU: Opteron 165 @ 311x9 - 2817.8 mhz - 1.47v
    Mobo: Abit KN8-SLI
    RAM: 2x512 Crucial Ballistic Tracers500 @ 202 mhz 2-2-2-5 T1
    GFX: Asus EAX1950pro @ 648/1408
    PSU: Thermaltake 500w
    SC: Audigy 2 zs
    LCD: 22' Samsung 225bw
    Speakers: Klipsch ProMedia 5.1 Ultra
    Mouse: Logitech G5

Comment

Originally posted by AsianBatman
      You do not need to spend 200 on a psu.
      Any suggestions then? I'm looking for a nice SLI PSU and I've heard pretty good things about the PC power and cooling.

Comment

Get something from thermaltake, it is good for a cheaper price.
        CPU: Opteron 165 @ 311x9 - 2817.8 mhz - 1.47v
        Mobo: Abit KN8-SLI
        RAM: 2x512 Crucial Ballistic Tracers500 @ 202 mhz 2-2-2-5 T1
        GFX: Asus EAX1950pro @ 648/1408
        PSU: Thermaltake 500w
        SC: Audigy 2 zs
        LCD: 22' Samsung 225bw
        Speakers: Klipsch ProMedia 5.1 Ultra
        Mouse: Logitech G5

Comment

Comment

Get a 550W SLI-ready PSU from Antec or Fortron. I wouldn't trust Thermaltake with a system this powerful, and you don't need to spend even $150 on some of the other brands. Yes, PC Power and Cooling makes a good PSU, but it's not that good.

As for the components themselves, there's a couple things I would change (though eveything is compatible). First, I can't see getting a system this expensive with only 1GB of RAM. You certainly need two sticks of that Corsair. Secondly, unless you really need the mobility for LAN parties, there's no need for an LCD. It's not superior to a CRT costing less than half its price. In fact, it's inferior in some ways. But, if you really need the mobility or desk space, I guess you have no choice.

How come the case is free?

Comment

PSU concern:

The only problem with this Asus mobo is that there are a few bugs that need to be fixed. The reason why I'm getting this PSU is because there are a lot of PSU out there that aren't working with this board. As take from the Asus forum:

"PSU tip: You will save yourself a lot of headache if you buy a GOOD 600W or better PSU with this motherboard. Antec 550W and below PSUs are generally NOT working with this motherboard. Weak +12V amperage ratings seem to be the cause (thanks Julio).

Here are the recommended (and known working) PSUs that forum members have had success with:

* PC Power and Cooling Turbocool 510SLI (I have tried this personally and it's brilliant, but expensive). Note, I have tested this with MY configuration (5 hard drives and a SINGLE 7800GT
              ) but not with two graphics cards in SLI. I assume it will work, though.
              * Enermax 600W SLI model. (mentioned by a few people to work)
              * Seasonic S12-600 600Watt PSU. (mentioned by MANY people to work)
              * OCZ PowerStream 600W. (anandtech.com uses this PSU in their benchmarks so it has to be good, right?)"

I already got the case in my room.
              Thanks for all the replies

Comment

Then get a different motherboard. It's not really that great of a motherboard for the price. The dual 16x slots do absolutely nothing. That kind of bandwidth won't even be remotely useful until long after socket 939 is obsolete.

If people say the Antec isn't working, than go for Fortron, Enermax, or OCZ. PC Power and Cooling is overpriced for any machine.

Comment

Working...
                X