Pentium D and Asus P5N32-Sli Deluxe powering off

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pentium D and Asus P5N32-Sli Deluxe powering off

Back again, and imagine that, with another problem with a machine. I swear computers are allergic to me, I even kill credit cards.

Here's my situation, I just bought these parts to put together a pretty fair machine:

Asus P5N32-Sli Deluxe
    Pentium D 3.0
    (2) Patriot PDC22G5600+XBLK DDR2 1GB
    Xtasy Radeon X850xt 256MB PCI-e
    (2) WD 10K SATA 74.3MB ( in RAID-0 )
    Powered by an Antec Neo HE550
    running WinXP Pro

Everything installed without a hitch, got the drivers for the RAID off the ASUS supplied disc; installed XP on the RAID setup with no glitches. Latest drivers for the video card, BAM computer turns off... repeated, at no set time or task, sometimes quick, sometime it will run for an hour. Took it to Fry's (where I purchased everything) and had them run a complete diagnostics on the system. Hardware-wise everything checked out (motherboard, cpu, PSU, video card, hard-drives, etc.) They were only able to get it to crash while in XP, not at BIOS etc. Their answer for me was that it was more than likely the driver that came on the ASUS disc for the nVidia chipset was the issue, based off of the error log within XP.

So I just brought it home, started a complete reinstall of XP loading the nVidia RAID controllers to install XP on the drives, and during the first copying phase of the XP files, it shut off. It was still in the blue window phase, had not reached the full XP GUI interface. Should I assume that it could be the nVidia RAID drivers are bad?, or possibly the floppy I have them on? Or would you suspect a hardware issue at this point?

The Fry's service tech said that if it still repeated it, he would change out the CPU and motherboard for me, and test it. but until then, what do you guys think?

[i]EDIT[i] : the ASUS disc also has a Silicon Image SATA driver, should I try that, or is that not for XP?
    Last edited by Corbinator; 11-29-2005, 11:47 PM.

Re: Pentium D and Asus P5N32-Sli Deluxe powering off

Originally posted by Corbinator
    Should I assume that it could be the nVidia RAID drivers are bad?, or possibly the floppy I have them on? Or would you suspect a hardware issue at this point?
    Hard to say. Here's an idea: Try it without RAID. That will help you determine if one drive is failing, if the controller is failing, or if the drivers are just bad.

Comment

I thought I would update you guys on the situation. We believe everything is working now, the computer has been on for 13 hours now with no power off; before the longest it went was about 45 minutes. It took just about 4 days for the Fry's guys messing with it to come up with a possible answer. The biggest headscratcher was that all the diagnostics ran came back with all hardware being okay.

The first oddity we figured out is that the Visiontek X850xt and the Antec HE550 do not like eachother. We tried multiple Antec HE550 PSUs and none of them would work. The HE550 was around $150us and we tried some cheapy $69us 500 PSU and it worked fine. I heard really good reviews about the SilverStone ST60F 600 PSU so I decided to try that one with it. That one worked as well, that was $180us.

Then, the computer would require an unplug from the wall to allow for a boot up; which I remember someone else having this problem on this board, which I need to post what fixed it. My DVD burner (which was used and I got free from a friend) totally crapped out, and is dead now. We removed the drive and the system boots perfect, no problems, running great.

So we feel there were two issues, the incompatibilty of the PSU and videocard; and the drive going bad, more than likely a short. Which could have caused the PSU situation I guess, but the other PSUs worked with it in. So I still think of it as both issues.

Comment

Apperantly everything was not fixed. The computer was working great for about 7 days; I had no CD or DVD drive so I had to do everything over the network, but it worked. I finally purchased a new DVD-RW and hooked it up. As soon as I turned on the machine smoke poured out of the box. Now, the brand new drive is dead, and if it is hooked up it won't post. If it is not hooked up it will post. So I took it back to Fry's, and to my surprise they didn't blaim me. The took responsibility for not getting it fixed the 2 times they had it the week before. So currently they are completely rebuilding it will all (and I mean ALL) brand new components.... at no cost to me.

They did tell me that they only charge $140 to setup a new system if you buy all the parts from them including the install of the OS (if you have a licensed copy). I told them I would do that from now on. Less headache, and if the components are bad they have direct access to every part in the store. Luckily I can write it off with my business, since that's what my computers are for. ;)

Comment

I too had the same issues with this mother board. Come to find out it was the power supply. The Antec modular power supply is not compatiable with the mother board. I ended up buying an Enermax 600, and PRESTO BAMO it hasent shut down once. Im not using a Radeon card, I went the Nvidia route. I too swapped everything at least at least once....Hope this helps someone else whos tearing their hair out trying to figure out whats up.

Comment

Hi Guys,

I love Both of ya. You 2 got the same Mobo as me ie P5N32. Thats not all, I have a PSU from Antec (Antec 500w neo HE) too. And of couse..... I have the same problem as both of you. I was like going Crazy to find out why my PC keep shutting down for no reason.

I check but with the vendors and ...

Mobo vendor said their Mobo is good. No issue
            GFX vendor said their gfx is good. No issue
            PSU vendor said their PSU is good, No issue.

I tested my mobo, cpu, ram, gfx at Vendor's place and it runs find. (they used other brand of PSU obvisouly). I brought it back, the same thing happened again. I suspected PSU faulty. I went back to ask for a loan PSU set. (Another Antec .... geeese) it runs fine for half a day and the problem is back again.

Its not until now that I found this thread I hope my problem is the same cause as yours. I suspected it got somthing to do with the Voltage on the mobo. But I dont know what causing it. I suspected there must be a drop or spike in current that causes the system to shut down. Now my guess is that Antec cuts off the power when there is a sudden demand in current.

PS: SinSU, How on earth you get a 0 for Post

Cheers
            Last edited by DiamondDust; 12-19-2005, 06:57 AM.

Comment

Excellent Info!

Wish I would have found this post when I picked up the Antec 500HE P/S! Just received the P5N32-SLI Deluxe MB yesterday. Took my time built up nice and neat and was rather annoyed that 30 sec after turning it on it would shut off. Couldn't figure out why. I was thinking either bad P/S or Bad MB. lol

Comment

A high end Pentium D plus high end video = 600W minimum (2 high end video cards then look at least 650W) as Pentium D's chew power like it's already going out of fashion (a highend Athlon 64 w/ highend video card is more what those original PSU's that you'se got are more meant for).

Comment

finally i find a thread with people having the same problem as me

ok i got Pentium D 840
                  Asus P5N32 MOBO
                  Geforce 7800 GT
                  Silverstone 600W power
                  2 identical Dual PQI Turbo Ram 2 GIGs
                  Maxtor 300 GB Sata
                  Seagate 160 GB Sata (Unplugged at teh moment)
                  Zalman Cooling

now my windows freezes sometimes for no reason at all
                  I thought at first it was my seagate drive, because i got a blue screen and under event viewer i get disk 1 errors. so i unplugged it and now i just find it freezing up.
                  the Bios is updated to the current one as well
                  it is quite frustrating, i too bought everything from FRYS
                  any suggestions?

Comment

by the way i too had fried one of my Hard drives, luckily i got that exchanged (under warranty) but i lost the other.

Comment

Here's another one:

P4 3.7ghz Extreme Edition 1066mhz fsb
                      P5N32-SLI MoBO
                      2 512 sticks of matched Crucial RAM
                      2 Maxtor 300GB Hard Drives in RAID 0
                      2 Gigabyte GeForce 6800 GT's in SLI
                      1 Pioneer DVD R/RW Dual Layer
                      550w Antec Neo HE psu

Originally built the machine on the P5ND2-Deluxe motherboard. Had problems when I enabled SLI in the Nvidia control panel and played games. Thing would shut down after like 5 minutes. If I only enabled one card it worked fine even though the second card was installed and powered. I did have intermittent boot up and flakey LAn problems though. Changed the Hard Drives, Reformatted multiple times, swapped psu's from the original Antec True 480 ro the PC P&C 510 SLI and nothing changed the problem. Even tweaked vcore settingg to no avail.

I finally decided to upgradde to the P5N32-SLI thinking that the boot up and LAN problems might suggest a problem there plus I wanted dual 16x slots. Well I found out the need for the 8 pin 12v connector and went to Frys to but the Neo Power HE. Put it all together and the damn thing shuts off after like 5 minutes. Cant even get into Windows setup.

Could this really be a power problem? The shutdown seems to be quicker the more you keep trying to refire the board suggesting a heat related problem. I've also tried unplugging everything but the motherboard power and video card but it still shuts off. Has anyone else had luck moving to a 600+ watt psu? I'd really go nuts if I bought my 4th psu and it still didnt work.

-Photonic

Comment

Switched to an Enermax Liberty 620 and had the box running for an hour and a half today. Seems like the problem is fixed but during all the testing I seem to have fried my primary PCie slot. If I try to start up the machine with a vid card in that slot I get nothing but a Long and three short beeps. Switching to the secondary slot allows the machine to boot fine.

Comment

ok heres the thing
                          i installed a Zalman Heat Fan over the CPU and used the silver heatsink paste over it.
                          the machine has not caused any trouble for almost a month now.
                          then only issue i have is that my second dvd drive doesnt appear sometimes in my hardware properties, so i have scan for hardware and it pops up, i still have not found a solution for that
                          but now the pc runs quiter and much smoother
                          by the way here are my specs

ASUS P5N32 SLI Deluxe MOBO
                          Pentium D 840 3.2 GHz
                          2 Gigs PQI Turbo ram DDR2
                          300 GB Hard Drive
                          Geforce 7800 GT
                          2 Optical Drives