Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help my monitor shuts down on certain games

Re: Help my monitor shuts down on certain games

It is a small monitor...does it support the resolution you're trying to play the game with?
    Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
    My Toys

Comment

I have a similar monitor and it will not support 768x1024 I had to use 960x600 or less in order to run it properly.

Comment

Well it works fine on certain games with 1024X768 however on other games it simply shuts down. And according with the manual that came with vampire bloolines the safe mode is supposed to be 800x600 so i have not the slightet idea what it may be.
        For instance if i play age of mythology in 1024X768 it sometimes shut down but if i play it always in 800X600 it never shuts down, however other games i can ply always in 1024X768 (neverwinter nights, vampire the masquerade, command y conquer generals..)

Comment

You also have to consider the color depth. Many older monitors cannot handle a 32-bit color depth when running at maximum resolutions. You're more than likely running into the limitations of the monitor.
          Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
          My Toys

Comment

but i am currently runing windows in 1024X768 32 bits.
            I also noticed something strange in the device settings, sometimes it calims that this monitor is plug and play and sometime sit says predetermined monitor.
            I also am able to go choose a refresh rate(?) past 60 hz but my monitor can't handle it and shuts down, so why would windows would allow me to go beyond the maximun refresh rate of my monitor.
            Is there any program that allows you to lock down your monitor in 60 hz because i supect that some games attemp to run with more than 60 hz speed since the windows gives them the option (although my monitor isn't quite happy with it).

Last second note: I just tested rome total war in 1024X768 32 bits and works perfectly but vampire bloodlines and civilization 3 still wont work
            Last edited by computernewbie; 12-03-2004, 12:14 PM.

Comment

You are probably still running into some sort of monitor limitation. If you can borrow a newer monitor from someone for a few minutes then at least you would be certain of where the problem is. I have no idea what part of the world you hail from or what your financial status may be but you should be able to find a used 15" monitor for next to nothing somewhere. I've bought used 17" monitors for under $80 CAD. The local shops here sell used 15" monitors for $50 CAD but I think they are overpriced. Keep in mind that if you buy used there will be little or no warranty ....
              Antec 900 case (4 120mm and 1 200mm lighted fans + UFO flashing light set + 2 12" and 1 6" Mutant Mods meteor lights) - Aerogate ll thermal controller - Asus M2N-e SLI - AMD 64 X2 AM2 6400+ - Corsair TX650 PSU - MSI 450GTS Cyclone OC - 2 X 2GB Patriot Extreme Performance PC2 6400 RAM - SATA 320 GB Seagate HD, SATA 300GB Maxtor HD and IDE 80 GB Samsung HD - Floppy Drive/Card Reader Combo - LG SuperMulti Lightscribe 18x DVD RW - Plextor PX-716A DVD r/rw - Windows 7 Home Premium 64

Crude but Effective ... it is a way of life.

Comment

Update: Arrrgh my brother allegedly tried to change the resolution to 800X600 in rome total war from 1024X768 and now my MONITOR SHUTS DOWN on rome total war. woe on me.

I think ill have to do like you say (prairie dawg) buy a new monitor, i was saving for more memory ram but i suppose it's no use if i can't see the goddamn games

Stupid monitor, i miss my ibm black colored monitor which btw was bigger than this crap (and was digital and had more options)

JOYOUS UPDATE: I found a way to make all the games work in 1024X768 resolution without my monitor shutting down, the answer was all the time in the lower right corner of my desktop. The nvidia nview utility which allows you to limit the refresh rate of the friggin monitor.

If somebody experiences this and has an nvidia video card just go to the nview utility by clicking its icon in the lower left corner and select adjust display properties, click on advanced options, hit in the part that has the name of your video card in it and the nvidia logo besides it (in my case geforce fx5200) a menu should appear on the left side of the window, select refresh rate override, the default mode is applications control refresh rate, select override refresh rate, and then deselect unwanted resolutions, and undesired refresh rates, click apply accept and play your games.

Phew i dont have to buy a new monitor now.
                Last edited by computernewbie; 12-03-2004, 05:53 PM.

Comment

hey, do you know how that works with ATI?

Comment

Lol now I downloaded the latest driver and i can't seem to find this option anymore, i just find some lame screen & refresh rating menu that does not do anything and once again my monitor shuits down, way to go nvidia making drivers worse than before. I can almost imagine their programmers saying: Hey let's eliminate an usefull option and replace it with an useless menu that doesn't do anything.

Does anyone know how to lock the refresh rate in 60Hz with the new nvidia drivers?????
                    (My driver version is 71.84)
                    Last edited by computernewbie; 03-29-2005, 11:34 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by megidoflare
                      hey, do you know how that works with ATI?
                      It's different with the Control Center, but in the Control Panel you just go to Displays and click monitor properties and lock it to a certain referesh rate, e.g. lock it to 60 if you can't go 72+ at a certain resolution at which you'd like to play.

Comment

Working...
                      X