Graphics Issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Graphics Issue

Hello, I have been having a pretty big problem with my games. Everytime I get in-game the textures all mix up and flip around. Then the current screen will freeze up, then continue that process again. Here are a couple of expamples.

It constantly jumbles textures around in games from D2, to, CoH, Far Cry, and Doom3. I ctrl+alt+delete when it freezes up and press cancel, and sometimes that negates the problem, but I have to do it a number of times, and sometimes my monitor just turns to power saving mode, and I cant get visual until I restart my PC. But while it is like that I still have sound and can tell my pc is just running without video.

Thats the problem.

I have tested the video card in other systems and that doesnt seem to be the problem. But I do think it has something to do with my CPU. It is a AMD 64-bit 3000+. And I have been wondering if it has anything to do with win2000, the OS I am using.

Anyway, here are my system specs.

Win2k
    AMD Athlon64 3000+
    Geforce FX5700Q 256mb
    2x256 Corsair dual-channel extra-low latency PC3200
    MSI K8N Neo Plat Ed.
    400 watt PSU

Tell me if you need further specifications. Thanks for the help.

Re: Graphics Issue

It could be a driver problem or even a hardware problem. Is the computer overclocked at all? Do you have the latest chipset and video card drivers, along with latest version of DirectX? What kind of system temperatures are you getting? What brand PSU is that?

Anyway, there shouldn't be anything wrong with Windows 2000. It might be a Windows problem (agian, drivers), but Windows 2000 should work perfectly.

Comment

Originally posted by Yawgm0th
      It could be a driver problem or even a hardware problem. Is the computer overclocked at all? Do you have the latest chipset and video card drivers, along with latest version of DirectX? What kind of system temperatures are you getting? What brand PSU is that?

Anyway, there shouldn't be anything wrong with Windows 2000. It might be a Windows problem (agian, drivers), but Windows 2000 should work perfectly.
      DX is 9.0c, all the drivers are up to date. It is 5% overclocked, I tried not overclocking at all. Still had the same problem. The cpu temp varies from 30-41 degrees. The PSU brand is Orion, the one that comes with the NZXT Guardian, which they say only runs at 300-320watts. But I have tried unplugging all unuesessary fans, and lights. Still, same problem.

Comment

I can't comment on the quality of Orion PSUs, but if they suck, then it is a possible casue of the problem. At this point, though, I would say it's unlikely.

If you're using the latest nForce drivers and the latest Catalysts, then I can't see your problem. Try a CMOS reset as it could be a bad BIOS setting (mainly raised AGP bus speeds).

Comment

Catalysts?

Comment

I think he was supposed to say Forceware drivers.. Catalyst drivers aren't going to be much good with a nVidia card ;)

Comment

Well I reset the BIOS settings to the fail-safe defualts which fixed that problem then screwed up my network settings and I couldnt get online. Then I loaded the Optimized Defualts and that fixed that problem. And kept the other one fixed.

I dont know what I changed in the BIOS, but I must have done something. Thanks for the help, quite the load off my shoulders.

Comment

Guess I spoke to soon, just got a C++ Runtime error in City Of Heroes. Thats a first.

Comment

Originally posted by Mutineer
                  I think he was supposed to say Forceware drivers.. Catalyst drivers aren't going to be much good with a nVidia card ;)
                  You got me. Too many people have Radeons and I get use to it.

A runtime error is different from graphical artifacts. I'd suggest trying memtest from my signature to see if it's a RAM issue and posting the specific error.

Comment

Hey , COH has new patches and hasbeen screwy , not a good guage .

Comment

Yeah, was just about to post earlier that it was just CoH, not my system. Thanks Yawgm0th.

Comment

Working...
                      X