Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

GeForceFX 5200 fan stops when loading XP?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GeForceFX 5200 fan stops when loading XP?

Hi all,

I recently put in an Asus A7V333 motherboard and reinstalled XP fresh. I didn't notice that anything was wrong until I'd enter a game and it would be extremely laggy and jerky (sometimes waiting a couple of minutes inbetween frames in Civ3!). I found out that the fan on my graphics card would stop spinning once XP loaded the welcome screen. So, I did a driver roll back to the default VGA drivers for XP. It was nasty but the fan kept spinning. However, XP would immediately detect the FX card and reinstall the drivers I just rolled back from. The screen would flicker and the fan would stop.

I was able to get the fan to continue spinning once I installed the nVidia drivers from the CD that came with my card. The drivers I had installed before were the 56.xx.

I called Asylum tech support and he had me check some bios settings and said everything was correct and I should contact Asus. I've flashed the Asus bios to 1018 (the latest). What can I do? Everything runs now but I'm running on old drivers and I would like to have the most up to date drivers if possible. I haven't been able to find anyone else with the same problem with my motherboard.

As a side note, this card had been working fine on my older Asus board (board was about 3-4 years old).

Thanks for any help.

Have you done any voltage monitoring? Perhaps the old mb and components used less power than your current setup, and now you are pushing your psu too far. Also, if your new setup is running hotter, that can reduce available power as well. The only other thing I can think of offhand is that the contacts on the vid card are dirty, and it doesn't always know when the rig is powered up.

Comment

Hmm, I didn't think of that. But would any of that have anything to do with running newer drivers versus older drivers? Because these older ones will still allow the fan to spin while in windows while the newer ones won't.

Comment

The fan should powerup when you start the computer unless it has some thermal control on the vid card. I don't know if this is used on the card or not. But all my vid cards with fans have the fan run even in DOS, which, of course, does not load Windows drivers. I suppose that it is possible that your set of drivers is corrupt and does not recognise that the motherboard is powered if in fact it can exert control over the fan.

Comment

Working...
        X