HELP, 2.8C P4 shuts down

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HELP, 2.8C P4 shuts down

I just purchased an ASUS P4C800 Deluxe with a 2.8C P4 from New Egg. I also bought a generic case with a generic 350WATT PSU. Everything worked fine until I left it to idle. The computer just shuts down. So I started swapping out parts. Tried a bigger PSU (generic 400WATT) and still the same problem. Memory is fine and mother board is fine. BIOS has been updated to the very latest and NO OVERCLOCKING was ever attempted with the 2.8C P4. I installed my old P4 1.7 Williamette and the problem goes away. I even overclocked the heck out of the Williamette(2.0GHZ) and still everything worked fine. Could someone please help me???? I returned the first 2.8C P4 to New Egg and they sent me a new replacement. It also is doing the same thing. Is the PSU choking the 2.8C causing it to shut down? I can run intense games it seems but if I try to surf the web, the computer poops out. It shuts down, dosent reboot, just shuts down. Motherboard light stays on. As I am typing this I am using the 1.7 Williamette, I wouldnt make it this long on the 2.8C.

Any ideas????

For today's CPU's generic PSU's (can't perform under load) and most generic cases (no reasonable airflow) can't cut it and I won't use them but I'd be checkin' ya temps out as it looks like the system is shuttin' down due to overheating. If ya runnin' XP then also have a look in the Event Viewer to see if anything is bein' red flagged.

[EDIT] BTW only one thread is required so the otherone was deleted.

Comment

as soon as it shut down, i yanked the heat sink off and and touched the processor, it was barely warm, if at all. And nothing showed up in the event viewer.

Comment

you are using a thermal paste right?

Comment

umm...did you reinstall after you put in new processor?
          if not and if you are still using old install then it looks like a work of Blaster to me, but i could be wrong
          Latest Microsoft Security Updates.
          Last Updated:
          10th MARCH

If you are a security freak: Use Microsoft Baseline Security Analyzer (NT/2000/XP/2003)
          ======================
          jabber : [email protected]
          =======================
          Linux user since: April 24, 2003 312478
          yabaa dabaa doo...
          Customized for 1024x768

Comment

Well then next question would obviously be, Do you have a Virus scannerclooney003?

Comment

Working...
            X