Mobo won't recognize HDD.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mobo won't recognize HDD.

Hi all, This has been covered already but.. I just got a gigabyte GA-7N400-L mobo and a athlon 2600+. I replaced my old asus mobo and 2200+ with these parts. I had a little trouble figuring everything out, as this board is not as user friendly as my asus board. Now there are 2 problems, first when I'm in the Bios Its saying the my proc is reaching temps in excess of 75 degrees C!
    second once I save and exit bios, windows won't load.. now I know what your gonna say, "reinstall windows". that I can't do because the HDD i have is from an HP. so windows is preinstalled.
    I know the HDD works fine because I used it with my asus board, and I am now using it in my HP again. I usually have to enter the product code when I install the HDD, but other than that it boots right up. I'm hoping I'm overlooking something simple with the mobo, or that the mobo and or the proc are defective.

What do you guys think???

Originally posted by Radicus
    Hi all, This has been covered already but.. I just got a gigabyte GA-7N400-L mobo and a athlon 2600+. I replaced my old asus mobo and 2200+ with these parts. I had a little trouble figuring everything out, as this board is not as user friendly as my asus board. Now there are 2 problems, first when I'm in the Bios Its saying the my proc is reaching temps in excess of 75 degrees C!
    second once I save and exit bios, windows won't load.. now I know what your gonna say, "reinstall windows". that I can't do because the HDD i have is from an HP. so windows is preinstalled.
    I know the HDD works fine because I used it with my asus board, and I am now using it in my HP again. I usually have to enter the product code when I install the HDD, but other than that it boots right up. I'm hoping I'm overlooking something simple with the mobo, or that the mobo and or the proc are defective.

What do you guys think???
    Taking one harddrive with a Windows operating system installed on it and putting it in a different system without reformatting will not work very well at all, if your tring to use the same OS previously installed on the other system unless the motherboards are identical. Usually system disc from HP are coasters unless you use it for the machine it came with. Now their so cheap they don't even include one of those anymore without paying for it seperatly, its on a harddrive partition. If thats what your tring OS from the harddrive intall I doubt you will succed on a different machine.

I'd reformat with a boot disk and seperate O.S. and try to install a clean (Real) copy of your O.S., then start from there.

75 degrees C is running up there around the high zone. I think 80 degrees C is the max if I remember right. I'd check all your fans to make sure they are running, most of all the heatsink fan. Make sure the thermal compond (unless its a strip) between the heatsink and CPU and the fan itself was put on correctly also.

Comment

Originally posted by Radicus
      now I know what your gonna say, "reinstall windows". that I can't do because the HDD i have is from an HP. so windows is preinstalled.
      too bad, you're going to have too. Windows,esspecially pre-installed OEM Windows, is going to through a fit when you go an change the core hardware components (mobo being the biggest one). When switching hardware like that, it's always best to format and do a clean install. You could do a repair install, but that's only a temporary fix imo. On top of that, your version of windows will probably only work on the original hardware, one of the many curses of buing OEM PC's.

Your best option will be to leave the hdd in the HP (so you will still have a fully functional PC that you can sell or whatever) and buy a new hdd and new copy of XP (pro preferably) for your new hardware setup.

Comment

I Understand what you guys are saying... The thing with my hp HDD is I've already used it to swap machines. It was in my athlon rig for about a year. I just recently tried to use it with the gigabyte mobo, and it wouldn't take. why can I use it with the asus and not the gigabyte????

Comment

you just got lucky is all. it is very rare that would can switch the mobo's and cpu and get away with it without much fuss. Although i feel confident in saying that Widows would have run better if you had format after switching hardware.

Comment

Ok, thats fine. I need a new HDD anyway:D Now tell me this, I checked my HSF which is an aerocool unit. The thermal grease is applied just fine, But still my temps are really high in the bios.
            I put my 2200+ in the gigabyte mobo, to see if it would work and the temps never got above 40C...

Comment

I just received your PM about this and yes as the other's have stated XP must be reinstalled but that 2600+ is it a Thoroughbred core or a Barton [t'breds have a 256KB L2 cache and Bartons have 512KB] and can ya supply a link to that HSF that ya usin' though I've never known Aorecool to make a proper highend HSF.

Comment

I just swaped out the mobo's, but I'm still using the 2600+(its a barton) So, I put my asus back in and everything worked fine:D
                Maybe its because the chipset is so old or something. anyway gonna stick with the 2600 and the asus board as it's going to be my secondary PC anyhow. Thx for all the help guys;)

Oh and btw, the proc doesn't reach atmospheric temps on this board:confused: Maybe that gigabyte was faulty.

Comment

Ok, I took that crap back to the store:shoot3: That mobo was just ****, only came with one ide cable:eek: and the bios was to complicated. The barton proc was locked at 11.5:eek: couldn't get the damn thing over 1909:rofl: Oh well, that's the last time I make an impulse buy

I was pissed because my 64 hadn't arrived in the mail:rolleyes:

Comment

Working...
                  X