Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

windows install problems - stop errors (merged threads)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First of all ya shouldn't have
    I turned off all cache, pnp and disabled random stuff in BIOS
    secondly did ya read
    increase the voltage to the memory by 0.1v
    and
    EDIT: I can't believe i took the time to do this, but I took a look in your manual (something you should have done yourself) to see if you have the settings availabe. First of all, you should take a look in the Advanced page of your BIOS (pg. 24 of your manual), then naviagte down to "Frequency/Voltage Contol". Page 30 of your manual details what is in this section, I suggest you read it. However, according to your manual you do not have the options available to adjust the RAM voltage (but you should look in the bios anyway).
    as ya didn't answer whether ya tried that. :rolleyes2

Comment

Sorry, i didnt read the little edit part. But im sure thankful you did do that.

However i have looked through all the pages and probably scanned through the manual and another pc help book like hundred times.

Im not sure but maybe the disabled CPU cache (which slowed down the computer) helped use the corrupt ram less?

Could it also be the harddrive?

Now even though i have installed Xp im getting alot of errors, once in a while i still get the stop error only different sayings such as (REGISTRY_ERROR) and also i get alot of those dumb send report errors in IE, not to mention i also get this serivces.exe shutdown timer (kinda like the ms.blast worm)

and yes i looked in the BIOS, there is no option to change any voltages, however i can adjust the DRAM clock but i dont think that is relavant.

BTW: Why was disableing the stuff a bad idea?

----------------------------------------------------------
      EDIT: OK... i have almost determined it is my RAM. I ran both memtest (windows) and memtest-86(bootup from dos)

Memtest kept on poping up errors every 5-10 seconds.
      memtest-86 showed 37793 errors.

both were only run for about 10-20 minutes.

Also I would like to know: Can BAD ram cause the problems ive been having as well as cause memory dumps, crashes, etc?

Comment

Ctrl-F1 buttons pressed together while in your Award bios should allow you into the "advanced chipset features" screen ... it is there that you may find settings for adjusting your voltage. Kinda scares me telling you this since you don't really seem to be paying all that much attention to the answers that you are getting here. From what I am seeing your RAM more than likely has a problem so you disable L1 and L2 cache on your CPU (why??? just to slow the system down more?) Corrupt RAM can cause errors on your hard drive.

As the experts here have said ... if you can find the option then up your mem voltage by .01v ... if you have the option to remove one stick of RAM then test that .... if you only have one stick of RAM then try to find another one to use for testing purposes. Maybe take the RAM back to where you got it and have them test it.
        Antec 900 case (4 120mm and 1 200mm lighted fans + UFO flashing light set + 2 12" and 1 6" Mutant Mods meteor lights) - Aerogate ll thermal controller - Asus M2N-e SLI - AMD 64 X2 AM2 6400+ - Corsair TX650 PSU - MSI 450GTS Cyclone OC - 2 X 2GB Patriot Extreme Performance PC2 6400 RAM - SATA 320 GB Seagate HD, SATA 300GB Maxtor HD and IDE 80 GB Samsung HD - Floppy Drive/Card Reader Combo - LG SuperMulti Lightscribe 18x DVD RW - Plextor PX-716A DVD r/rw - Windows 7 Home Premium 64

Crude but Effective ... it is a way of life.

Comment

Originally posted by renderclock
          Also I would like to know: Can BAD ram cause the problems ive been having as well as cause memory dumps, crashes, etc?
          simply put, yes ...but I think I already said that too :)

Comment

God dammit, now its complaining about missing files in the system file... Is this caused by a bad harddrive or the RAM?

Comment

still a RAM issue...

replace that bad RAM and you'll feel a lot better

Comment

thanks, makes me feel alot better. I will be getting new stick of ram on either monday tuesday or wednesday, and ill post back to see what difference it has made.

Thanks for all the help.

Comment

also everytime i finish exactly 1 game of gunbound, i get the bluescreen and it mentions sometinh about VM or VXD.

Comment

Ok, last questions guys, i promise!

My computer just restarted and kindly set everything back to default settings... by this i mean:

-uninstalled ALL my device drivers - and revert them to windows defaults.

-took all my software off the add/remove programs list (although they are still installed and useable).

-Revert my custom settings (ie: i use the classic control panel, but it reverted it back to the easy one. I like to be able to view windows folder, but it changed it back to "protected" mode.

My question again is, what could cause this? BAD RAM?

Comment

Very likely as the Windows install would've been flawed to start with and corruption would be on the cards very swiftly. Replace the defective part and then format and reinstall Windows.

Comment

Seller kindly sent a replacement RAM, i put it in, ran memtest-86 no problems. Reinstalled XP no problems, running it now, no bugs nothing. Awesome stuff, thanks guys!

Comment

So, let's see. You were told in the 4th post that it was bad RAM, and to replace it, but you've carried the thread on for... another 20 or so posts just to figure out it's bad RAM? All the while asking 'Is it the bad RAM that did this?'.... :rolleyes2

Oh well, at least it's over now.. Time to put this thread to sleep

Comment

Working...
                          X