What speed burner do you have?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sort of.

Click here for a list of burners and their capabilities. Compare the sony and the liteon and youll see their strengths & weaknesses.

EMF encoding means the burner can copy SafeDisc 2 protected cds. (among other things)
    Having EMF=good.
    Not having EMF=bad if you wanna 'backup' your games.

Quality wise- sony make good products. Just not as feature packed as the liteon

Comment

forgot yamaha. all references to plextor in this post should also apply to yamaha drives. they are equally as good as plextor.
      I am sorry, I have to dispute that comment. I had two friends buy identicle yamaha 16X drives, and they were nowhere near the quality of a plextor drive. One went into a P3 800 / 256 PC133 system, and the other went into a Athlon 1.4 / 512 DDR 266, and both of my friends only got the drives to perform as expected 80% of the time. 20% coasters...

They could improve their success rate by not touching their computers during the burn, to about 90% success, but if they wanted to do some browsing, or even ICQ messaging, boom, coaster. And that was with NERO 5, and Easy CD creator.

My friend with the Pentium machine got fed up with the burner, as he burns, 100- 150 a month, and got a ASUS 16X, and he said that with Nero5, he CAN NOT get it to make a coaster, no matter what he is doing. He has made one coaster, and that was only due to a blue screen.

The only thing that changed in his system was the burner, and he sold it on ebay a day after he got his new drive.

Yamaha burners = decent...

NOT even in the same ballpark as Plextor.

Comment

I don't really know that much about burners but what exactly do you mean by coaster? I'm able to do anything I want from IMing with people to surfing the web to posting on these forums and I've never had an unsucessful burn. Or its never coasted atleast....as for that list Bahamut Zer0....I've already seen that and I'm running that program during certain times....most of the time I'm running nero 5....my burner is the Sony CRX-175E the only thing closet to that burner on the list is the 175E2 is this the same burner as mine except maybe a newer revision or something? heh it works fine either way

Comment

a coaster is simply the term for an failed CD burn... all that the CD is good for then is basically being a drink coaster.. :)

Comment

A coaster is a device used to keep condensation from touching fine furniture... a coaster is what you make when you have a ****ty burner... :D

catch on yet? :D

Comment

The term 'Coaster' means a dud cd.
              And your CRX175 cant do EMF im afraid. But thats not neccesarily a bad thing- if its doing what you want it to do- then its all good.

As for that yamaha problem- it could of been a number of things that caused the errors. Damaged during shipping perhaps, or just a DOA drive?. Ive had no probs with the Yamahas ive deployed and they perform just as well as the plextor.
              My mate has a yamaha scsi burner in his machine. Most stable piece of hardware ive ever seen.
              workmate has a plextor and it too is a top performer. Im the odd one out with the low-budget liteon, but i can still play with the big boys when it comes to writing SD2. :)

Comment

wow.... three different replies to what a coaster is.. that's efficiency.. :D

I'd sort of have to agree with zeradul on this one.. Yamaha drives are still very good, but not up to the standard of the Plextor drives...

Comment

I still don't understand what coaster mean....LOL I'm kidding that was alot of responses on just that....ya my burner does all of what I want it to so I'm not about to waste my money on a newer one either........kind of like I'm not about to waste my money on an AthlonXP 2100+ cause I'm not gonna notice anything maybe 10 extra FPS in quake 3? but in windows nah I ain't noticing it......after all the name 2100 plus makes it sound like a huge difference but in reality, it would be me spending 200 something dollars for a gain of about 300MHz heh I've overlocked to 1.53GHz before and it failed after about an hour of playing games and running in windows.......I guess I'm not sucessful at ocing my stuff......oh well......but ya the coaster I caught on I knew they were used for drinks and stuff but not a dud cd lol.......

Comment

well we all responded in a very short time, and I'm sure none of us saw any of the other responses until after the fact

Comment

I was kidding

Comment

I know, I was responding to Beefy..

Comment

How about a PLEXTOR 40x/12x/40x found at a store for 159.99 not too bad for a 40x and i have heard good things about plextor any one think otherwise...and is it true they make burners for TDK?
                          - Damien

Comment

apparentlly the Lite-on's use some plextor hardware in them but are not quite as good, but for the price differece i'm not complaining.

Comment

Originally posted by ReSpAwN DeMoN
                              heh I've overlocked to 1.53GHz before and it failed after about an hour of playing games and running in windows.......I guess I'm not sucessful at ocing my stuff......oh well
                              You cant get a stock 1.4 TBird to 1.53..... something wrong. I've worked with 4 of all different steppings and they'll all get to 1.53 easy, only one needed a vcore change. You should look into that...

Comment

Oh yeah, original thread topic... i wanna buy the Plextor 40x, does anyone know if they all come with EMF, or do i need to get a "2" revision or something? Are there any other encodings so that i can "backup" other types of protection in games? Im goiong up from a Sony 10x which'll go in a secondary sytem...

Comment

Working...
                                X