ext Dolby decoder and soundcard?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ext Dolby decoder and soundcard?

I have external Dolby Pro logic (4.1) surround system which I use when I watch movies with my pc (well, with tv out).
    The pc only has AC'97 soundcard but since I have been using the external sourround system I have not find that a problem.

Now, I just ordered Epox 8RDA, the non + version. Since I thought I didn't really need fancy soundcard.

I was just reviewing the 8RDA+ again and my interest rose. Does anyone (I belive plenty have) have first hand experience using external surround system and different soundcards with it? Is there a difference and if there is , is it really noticeble.

Thanks for taking time to read this.

Andy

Well, I'll just answer my own question now.

Upgrading sound frrom stereo AC'97 codec to Nforce's Soundstorm did improve sound quite a lot.

I do not think it actually made dolby sound better since I use external dolby pro logic system but it is definetly louder.
    (meaning I don't need to up the volume so much now)

Soo ... all you hundreds of people who impatiently waited for an answer - go ahead and get that soundcard upgrade. It'll improve your output no matter where it comes out. :laugh:

Andy

Comment

The onboard sound equals the SBL 5.1 very easily. ;)

Comment

LOL
        You had my full attention until that post Wiggo.

I can understand the use of the SB line as a point of reference as they are commonly used.
        But when it is used as an example of performance, anything that equals them falls a bit short to my thinking.

OK, it would beat my needs - but for someone who is looking for sound quality the SB's aren't the answer.
        The reason a diamond shines so brightly is because it has many facets which reflect light.

Comment

Ok then let's try this then. You won't pick the difference between the two sound wise plus both go easy on the CPU cycles. ;)

is that better? :D
          <center>:cheers:</center>

Comment

I've read that the only downside is that Soundstorm does not (yet?) support EAX 3.0

Ok, and someone could say something about the connections but considering the bang for the buck ... it is great.

Andy

Comment

Working...
            X