Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sound Card-Creative Audigy (Not Detected)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

More BIOS Scree Shots (these are in order).

Comment

Comment

Comment

Only PCI Slot #2 being used.

Comment

I did speak briefly to a Creative Audigy Tech Support Rep. earlier today in regard to my problem. The Creative rep told me about this file on their Audigy installation CD.

The File Name = CTZAPXX.exe which was suppose to be a way of updating or removing any Audigy Sound Card drivers on my system that Windows XP Pro may overlook. They said it bypasses the OS. This is Creative's driver update tool.

I gave it shot but that didn't work either. I'll have to call them again tomorrow if I get a chance.

Comment

The File Name = CTZAPXX.exe being executed on my system.

This is a screen shot of the "Creative Driver Update Utility" tool on the Creative Installation CD.

There are options on this menu:
              1) Device Installation
              2) Device Uninstallation

Unfortunately, this utility tool didn't work either.

Comment

AGHHH,

Not sure what just happened. Some of the pics didn't update and I'm out of time this evening. I have all the BIOS Screens to post but there taking to long to update so I'll post the missing ones tomorrow.

Bottom line with this problem is EVERYTHING I'VE TRIED SO FAR HAS FAILED.

Bahamut Zer0...... I didn't find anything called 'INT Pin Assignments' in my BIOS.

I'm getting real close to going with your last suggestion of taking out the card, reinstall winXP (without the sound card & making absolutley sure the onboard sound chip is disabled). Then install the sound card when windows has finished installing.
                (FYI: I did reinstall the OS twice already but when I did it I didn't remove the card so that "might" make a difference...who knows?).

:cry:

Comment

Got it working (whew..took all night). Here's the fix by the way as nothing else seemed to work.

re-flashed the BIOS F10 from Windows XP (even though I was already running F10). Also, made sure I checked the box for the "clear dmi info" & "internet update".

Next powered down.
                  Removed all but the Video Card, memory, and CPU.
                  Booted again.
                  Went into the BIOS option for "Load Optimized Defaults", F10 (saved/exited).
                  Re-enter the BIOS and disabled "On Board Sound".
                  Saved / Exit
                  Re-installed Windows XP Pro (reformat / re-partioned)
                  Re-install the sound card (before anything else).
                  Then installed my other PCI devices one by one.

Also in BIOS make sure APIC is enabled under the "BIOS Feature Setup" option.

We're back in business !

P.S. Some of the guys over at AMDMB's forum helped me out w/ this one. They have some good guys who are very familar w/ this particular Gigabyte board.

:cheers:

Comment

I'm glad to hear that you finally got it working after all of that. What was the effect of flashing the bios supposed to be? Unless it was corrupted, I would think that would not have any effect.

Comment

I just had an answer back from Creative, a few days ago, about a lock up problem when installing Audigy ex drivers in XP. They suggested the card be put in PCI slots 4 or 5. You may want to try that instead of slot 3. :confused:

Comment

bigjackusa,

Not sure but if I get addn'l information I'll post it.

Just glad it's finally working.

Comment

Good to hear you are up and running Atlas...oh BTW..instead of pics why don't your just ALT+ Print scrn your window it much cleaner view and can be read better....just a suggestion..:)
                          - Damien

Comment

FLaCo,

Good to hear you are up and running Atlas...oh BTW..instead of pics why don't your just ALT+ Print scrn your window it much cleaner view and can be read better....just a suggestion..

Right now I have two machines. To save time I just leave my original machine connected to the internet to post questions to tweaktown. My new machine isn't connected to the internet yet. That's why the pics.

Once I get my new machine set up the way I want it I'll start doing screen shots with ALT + Print Screen.

Comment

Re: Sound Card-Creative Audigy (Not Detected)

[IMG]file:///C:/Users/J653C%7E1.LIG/AppData/Local/Temp/moz-screenshot.jpg[/IMG][IMG]file:///C:/Users/J653C%7E1.LIG/AppData/Local/Temp/moz-screenshot-1.jpg[/IMG][IMG]file:///C:/Users/J653C%7E1.LIG/AppData/Local/Temp/moz-screenshot-2.jpg[/IMG][IMG]file:///C:/Users/J653C%7E1.LIG/AppData/Local/Temp/moz-screenshot-3.jpg[/IMG][IMG]file:///C:/Users/J653C%7E1.LIG/AppData/Local/Temp/moz-screenshot-4.jpg[/IMG]Hello friends,

The issue: for some reason only known to Creative, in certain cases the hardware id substring (a number used to identify the model number of your card) on the original Audigy sound cards becomes corrupted. This is described in more detail here: http://bottorff.net/Audigy/Audigy%20Project.htm. The driver setup program will then no longer allow you to install the drivers since 'a supported product can't be found'.

Now, let me point out that in my opinion
                              1. Creative ought to let you install any of their drivers for any pci card YOU decide, instead of forcing the installer to exit if a supported product supposedly can't be found.
                              2. Should take their responsibility and fix/replace the Audigy cards exhibiting this issue, or release drivers with a solution. The fact that this an older sound card is no excuse, since this is clearly an issue experienced by quite a number of people (search google).

However, there is one simple solution:
                              1. Install the excellent freeware Kxproject drivers (located at http://kxproject.lugosoft.com/). They will actually identify your card correctly, and also give better sound quality and many additional features Creative never bothered to make available (but which are supported by the chip on the card). This is the preferred solution since it's not to hard to install & configure these drivers.

If, however, you use Vista x64 (like I do), you're out of luck. Kxproject does not support x64 os-es. But, oh joy, I've found a solution!
                              Of course, on XP you could install the original drivers. But this option is more to my liking.

1. Download the driver package for the Audigy card from Creatives website
                              2. Open the .exe file in an archiving utility (eg. PowerArchiver), and extract the files somewhere
                              3. Open the extraction dir and go to the Drivers\wdm\ subdirectory
                              4. Open wdma_emu.inf in notepad
                              5. Press ctrl+F and do a search for "; Audigy, Audigy 2" (without the " of course)
                              6. Once you've found it, press enter, and on the next line paste
                              "%Audigy.DeviceDesc%=Audigy_Device,PCI\VEN_1102&DE V_0004&SUBSYS_00401102" (without " )

-- This adds the corrupted hardware id to the list of allowed model numbers for the driver installation, enabling you to install the drivers anyway. If your corrupted id is different (look for the Details > Hardware ids tab in Device manager where your card is listed) copy the line "%Audigy.DeviceDesc%=Audigy_Device,PCI\VEN_1102&DE V_0004&SUBSYS_00xxxxxx" (where xxxxxx is the number specific to your situation) instead. --

7. Repeat for the next "; Audigy, Audigy 2" line, and again, and again (so a total of 4 times). Smart people only need to do this step once, since it's only necessary for the section which applies to you ([Creative.NTX86.6] for x84 systems, [Creative.NTIA64.6] for itanium, [Creative.NTAMD64.6] for x64)
                              8. Save the file
                              9. Manually search for drivers in the device manager 'update driver' option, select the Drivers\wdm subdir and presto. Your drivers will finally install!
                              10. Run setup.exe located in the \Drivers subdir to tie up loose ends and complete the install.

You won't get all the creative bloatware this way (I haven't been able to fix the actual setup.exe program), but everything else will work fine and you'll be able to use your precious Audigy you paid good money for. If you want the FireWire/Gameport to work I fear you're out of luck too.. but vista wouldn't detect them for me anyway.

Good luck! You can reply or mail me (through the forum) if anything is unclear. And, in closing: shame on you, Creative.

Comment

Re: Sound Card-Creative Audigy (Not Detected)

Wow ... you put a lot of info in your post that may be of importance to someone but prolly not to those who originally posted in 2002.
                                Antec 900 case (4 120mm and 1 200mm lighted fans + UFO flashing light set + 2 12" and 1 6" Mutant Mods meteor lights) - Aerogate ll thermal controller - Asus M2N-e SLI - AMD 64 X2 AM2 6400+ - Corsair TX650 PSU - MSI 450GTS Cyclone OC - 2 X 2GB Patriot Extreme Performance PC2 6400 RAM - SATA 320 GB Seagate HD, SATA 300GB Maxtor HD and IDE 80 GB Samsung HD - Floppy Drive/Card Reader Combo - LG SuperMulti Lightscribe 18x DVD RW - Plextor PX-716A DVD r/rw - Windows 7 Home Premium 64

Crude but Effective ... it is a way of life.

Comment

Working...
                                X