overclocking crossfire'd 4830's...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• overclocking crossfire'd 4830's...

I don't post much here, mostly lurk around for knowledge when trying to upgrade or figure out a problem. But I'm wondering if some one here might be able to help me with a PC that I've built strictly for gaming about a year ago.

My box consist of a Gigabyte EP45-UD3P motherboard, E8400 CPU, 2 gigs of PC-9600 ram and twin MSi 4830's. The CPU runs at 3960MHz and the ram runs at 1280MHz. I've pushed and OC'd everything as far as it could go several months ago and slowly backed off to get it super stable where it is currently at as mentioned above.

This is my question -- is it possible to OC not just one, but both of my 4830's with out any bios or firmware changes to the individual cards (yet)? I'm currently using Rivatuner to OC what appears to be only the primary 4830. I recently heard that a single ultra modern 5850 or better will do much better then my crossfire'd 4830's, but I'd like to squeeze a little more time and life out of what I currently have, then maybe in another year or two I'll ether upgrade to a better single or twin cards again. Or ultimately a better CPU as well like an i7 or who knows what in the coming months. It does appear that all my crossfire'd stuff is working right because I've watched FPS and all my benchmarks go up when I first did the second 4830 upgrade.

What prompted this is I'm a big COD-4 and COD-5 fan, and now that COD modern warfare-2 came out, it has appeared to have bog'd down my machine a bit when all the graphics are maxed out, where as COD-4 & 5 I could run everything maxed out at 1280X1024. I'm pretty sure my OC'd e8400 and ram are fine right now?

Thanks

Re: overclocking crossfire'd 4830's...

You can try MSI Afterburner or GPUTool, GPUTool gives better voltage tweaks on my 4890s, MSI is a lot more refined, Both have worked with my Asus, VisionTek, Diamond, Gigabyte & XFX cards using drivers from ATI/AMD. Both will sync the cards.
    Last edited by Aleslammer; 11-29-2009, 03:35 PM.
    CPU-Q6600 B3 Lapped 9X333, ZALMAN CNPS9700 NT w/OCZ Freeze
    MB-GIGABYTE GA-EP35-DS4
    MEM-3 GIGs Crucials
    VIDEO CARD-EVGA 8800 GTS 512
    HD-BOOT WD1600AAJS SATA2
    HD-2x WD5000ABYS SATA2 (RAID 0)
    HD-WD 3200JB 8MB IDE
    DVD-RW-PIONEER DVR-112DBK IDE
    FLOPPY-SONY 1.44MB
    CASE-APEVIA MX-PLEASURE (3x80mm IN & 1x120mm OUT)
    PS-ANTEC NEO POWER 650W
    SOUND-SB EXTREMEGAMER FATAL1TY PRO W/ I/O UPGRADE KIT
    TV-HAUPPAUGE WINTV-PVR USB 2.0
    OS-MICROSOFT WINDOWS MCE 2005 / SP3

Comment

Re: overclocking crossfire'd 4830's...

Originally posted by Aleslammer View Post
      You can try MSI Afterburner or GPUTool, GPUTool gives better voltage tweaks on my 4890s, MSI is a lot more refined, Both have worked with my Asus, VisionTek, Diamond, Gigabyte & XFX cards using drivers from ATI/AMD. Both will sync the cards.

Thank you for your response. As soon as I read your advice I tried MSI's Afterburner first and it too appeared to not let me OC my secondary GPU just like Riva-Tuner wont. I don't believe I missed anything on this one while trying to set it up.

I then tried GPU tool and it did appear to let me OC both vid cards from what I gathered from GPU-Z. But no matter what I tried it appeared to make things unstable or actually just freeze when benchmarking and some quick gaming trials. At first I tried letting GPU tool OC them sync'd and then I thought for sure I could go back to the way Riva-Tuner was set up where I could just OC the primary card and not touch the secondary one, and even this proved to not work with GPU tool. So for now I went back to just Riva-Tuner OC'ing only the primary GPU.

I'm gonna keep an eye out for updates on GPU Tool as its the closest I've some to overclocking both cards.

Thank you

Comment

Working...
      X