DVD Burning

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Also, for those of you reading this thread, try this URL:
    http://www.clonead.co.uk/ I found a very nice ripper program there as FREEWARE called cladDVDXP especially suited for the Windows XP Operating System. after reading the information on it I downloaded. Can't give you a review as havent tried it yet. The download is not big, and it's features seem pretty good. You'll have to just go there and take a look and see what I'm talking about.

Later.....

Comment

NOW... The ripping is going along smoothly.. and now we are presented with a folder on the HD that has the movie that you have just "put" there from your DVD. NEXT question is of GREAT interest.. Are there any DVD burners to AVOID??? I have heard that there is only 1 or 2 burners out there that when you are finished burning the movie onto DVD that that new DVD can be played in any DVD drive, including those used outside of the computer.. ie Home Entertainment Systems. Is this true? Is there perhaps one burner that shines out above the rest??

Ooops! more than one question.. LOL

New food for thought and comments.

Comment

DVD Burners are pretty high-cost so I havnt been lucky enough for someone willing to part with a 600-1k investment for a week or so for me to play with features etc, but the process is pretty straight-forward.

In SmartRipper, use the 'backup' button instead of the 'movie' button explained earlier. Itll backup the entire DVD to your HDD. Make sure you have the space beforehand obviously.

Then use Nero to create a DVD cuesheet, and then burn.
        You can burn a DVD right now if you want, even tho you dont have a DVD-Writer. You wont even need a Blank DVD!
        hehe, im just kidding, but not entirely. What I say is true, but youll only end up with an image file. Heres how:

Open Nero and select 'Choose Recorder' from the Recorder menu. Select 'Image Writer' as your writing device.
        Click OK and then click File->New.
        Now, up the top left hand corner, youll see a drop-down box. Click it and select DVD.
        Click Video-DVD and then check any settings you want to use. (such as label, ISO level (change it to 2 to prevent problems)
        Then youll see a new compilation with a directory structure similar to a DVD. Simply make that compilation look the same as the DVD. ie- put the VOBs etc in their respective directory(s).

There, youve made a DVD. You can save that compilation for when you purchase a DVD-Burner, but for now if you click Write-CD it will just write an image file to your HDD, gobbling up another 4 or so gig of space.

Have a play with the features so youll feel confident when the big day comes.
        Dont forget to re-select your cdrw as your recording device when youve finished!

As for DVD-Writer reccomendation, everyone I know who can afford them, get Pioneer. But like I said- I havnt been lucky enough to try more than one out for a long period of time. (10mins at most, was an LG model.....slow but alot cheaper)

Comment

Frost this site, http://www.cdr-info.com/ , has some good articles and reviews of various DVD writers and info on the various formats that are on the market atm. Yes there are some compatability problems attached to each format so a bit of homework will help ya make your decission. Also here, http://www.dvddemystified.com/dvdfaq.html , is a huge FAQ on the subject also that may help shed some extra light on the subject for you and assist in your decission on which format to go with and its compatability with what you already have. :smokin:
          <center>:cheers:</center>

Comment

hmm, it isnt too economical to burn dvds, not yet atleast, your better off d/ling dvd rips or buying another one

dvd rips are nice, could always hook up your tv to your laptop or put a pc in your home theater =P

Comment

GREAT NEWS to you all.!! I've done a little research (about 4 hours worth *S*) and I've included a link to a very very nice review of a Phillips DVD burner. included are some great performance testing against standards, and I've looke at both Pioneer and Phillips very closely, amongst other, and Phillips is truly the winner!

- SafeDisc 1/2 Results

This above link is the place to go to actuall read the entire review.

Hope this bit of information is useful to those that are considering buying a DVD burner. BTW www.newegg.com has the Phillips DVDRW208 DVD+RW & CD-RW COMBO DRIVE RETAIL selling for $449.00. A bit more than others listed at newegg, but this burner has "seam-less-link" buffer underrun protection, a real nicety. *S*

Comment

I'm glad that the info helped. :thumb:
                I've been watchin' the prices of these fall lately (still out of my range though).
                But there is reported to be some new CD-RW technology that maybe around by the time I consider it affordable. :?:

Comment

...That would be the blue laser disc thing developed by Phillips I think. 1gig of data on an 3cm disc or something....
                  Not too shabby.

Bear in mind Frost, that SafeDisc has nothing to do with protecting DVDs or,well, anything at all with DVDs. Only games and software carry SafeDisc, and its protection scheme is almost as pathetic as CSS.

When looking at DVD burning options, go for speed and compatibility. Im not too keen on combo drives, but the phillips looks like a winner.

Comment

Well, that Safe-Disc thing was supposed to be a picture of a graph showing the Phillips against others. It was way up there in speed. In fact, it was high when "high was better" and low when "lower is better" schemes.

sorry that the picture didn't copy over. but all the graphs on how it fared are at that website link I provided.

BTW. The program CladDVD XP works wonderfuly well. I've tried it a few times now and it rips DVD, decripts them and gets rid of macrovision, all in one swoope!

Australians make some pretty remarkable wine I've noticed.. and so have a lot of other Americans. *S* In fact Australia is one of the foremost in their wine technology.. so much so, that when a recent new winery was built in Germany, it was an Australian lady that they choose to be their winemaker. NOW that has to say something for the Germans to pick someone clear out of their country!!

DVD-compatible optical disk hits 100 Gbytes! A physics professor at a Taiwanese university developed a DVD disc with dual layers that is capable of 200 Gigabytes of data! Now that's a lot of storate for something you can put in your pants pocket!!! their goal is 1 terabit !

just for some idea of the future. *S*

Comment

Yes we have been having a good exports to european countries now for quite a few years but the industry here is starting think that it maybe getting too big.
                      The CD technology that I was talkin' about was reporting 8-10GB for a CD.
                      Oh and welcome to the TT Seti Team Frost. :thumb:
                      <center>:cheers:</center>

Comment

Thanks for the info, Wiggo! I'm hopeing that I can help with the seti@home thing. I've got it running on 2 of my computer that are connected to the net. This one with an Athlon XP 1700 OC to 1.70 GHz, and antoher computer (spare) that has an Athlon 1000 OC to 1200 MHz.

I've copied a ripped DVD folder from my "C" drive to my network computer (spare) and it looks like I can watch movies from there. *S* The nic card runts at 100 MB/S but the 20 GB hard drive in that other computer only runs at ATA 66.

Comment

Well, the DVD ripping goes well. I've had to burn a copy of a couple DVD movies on my har drive after renting the movie. We got the movies then didn't get the moment to watch them. So, returned the movies, and then got to watch the movie when we actually had the time. Worked out just fine. Deleted the movies as they took up ENORMOUS amounts of HD space. I can see why you would burn a DVD instead of just keepin them around! Some of the movies were greater than 4.7 GB. How come? If a DVD media only has 4.7 GB capacity, then how do you overcome the size difference between the file (movie) and what you can actually save (burn)??

Also, I live in Michigan, near Fennville, ( for those of you that get out the map and have a peek. *S*), and we rent and buy movies that are English with Spanish and/or French language support, with english/spanish/french subtitles to read. What if I wanted to listen to the movie and view it with German language?

Isn't that making the movie industry a little biased thinking that all anyone that buys/rents the movie will want to watch it in only those languages?

You guys are great for info and help!!! Nothing beats an Aussie for friendliness and being good neighbors.. wish we had a few more of ya all in our country! *S*

Comment

Well, thats where the movie industry just plays it by demand. If alot of people want german subtitles, then the movie will be released with german subtitles. Of course- as long as subtitles have been created, and the voices dubbed will there be exactly what you want. I dont think the industry has complete control over that area of movies.

As for storing those huge movies, you would generally convert the streams to a lower-quality but high compression format.
                            Alot of people these days use Divx & MP3.
                            They encode the video stream as a Divx video file and convert the Audio stream to an MP3 or OGG.
                            The compression is impressive and quality is getting better and better everyday. Of course- the file-sharing issues still bother the industry. Divx is to DVDs as MP3 is to audio cds.

Anyway, your looking at about 1gig for a decent quality rip of a 4.7+ gig DVD. Not too shabby at all. It takes alot of time and patience to get it right though, and I suggest you read the guides at www.doom9.org before you even to begin to think about doing it.

Ive got a few dozen Divx rips under my belt, so ask away if you get stuck. I do however, use programs that others view as 'crap' but they work for me, so, poo to them. :)

Comment

:confused: How much does divx reduce the space requirements for storage of these huge files?

:wave:

Comment

I have a Phillips Dvd Burner and use Nero and its worked for duplicating dvds everytime ive asked it too.
                                The one issue I didnt see mentioned was the fact that you can only get 4.7 gig on a blank dvd, check your movies, their almost all twice that size.
                                By the way Ive only used dvd-rw media and it plays on our pioneer dv-500(which is the first model) tv-top unit.

Comment

Working...
                                X