Refresh rate issues?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Refresh rate issues?

I'm not too sure if this is in the right place or not, but as far as I can tell this is the best place this can go.

My refresh rate is frozen at 60, and I've read the WinXP Tweaking and System Optimization Guides, which directed me to use an application called ReForce. The thing is, my Dell laptop didn't come with a user's manual, and when I went to their support site to read the .pdf, there was no mention of my laptop monitor's max safe refresh rate. I'm using a Dell Inspiron 6000, and my display adapter is a Mobile Intel 915GM/GMS, 910GML Express.

ReForce isn't doing anything either, when it says auto-populate it just says 60 for all resolutions. It's really irritating using a 60hz refresh rate and it kills my eyes alot, and there's no way I can find out my laptop's maximum safe refresh rate.

I've also copy-pasted my display adapter's information upload, as follows:

Intel(R) Graphics Media Accelerator Driver for Mobile Report

Report Date: 01/25/2009
    Report Time[hr:mm:ss]: 15:16:58
    Driver Version: 6.14.10.4764
    Operating System: Windows XP* Home Edition, Service Pack 3 (5.1.2600)
    Default Language: English
    DirectX* Version: 9.0
    Physical Memory: 503 MB
    Minimum Graphics Memory: 8 MB
    Maximum Graphics Memory: 128 MB
    Graphics Memory in Use: 10 MB
    Processor: x86 family 6 Model 13 Stepping 8
    Processor Speed: 1596 MHZ
    Vendor ID: 8086
    Device ID: 2592
    Device Revision: 03

* Accelerator Information *
    Accelerator in Use: Mobile Intel(R) 915GM/GMS,910GML Express Chipset Family
    Video BIOS: 1219
    Current Graphics Mode: 1280 by 800 True Color (60 Hz)

* Devices Connected to the Graphics Accelerator *

Active Notebook Displays: 1

* Notebook *
    Monitor Name: Plug and Play Monitor
    Display Type: Digital
    Gamma Value: 2.20
    DDC2 Protocol: Supported
    Maximum Image Size: Horizontal: Not Available
    Vertical: Not Available
    Monitor Supported Modes:
    1280 by 800 (60 Hz)
    Display Power Management Support:
    Standby Mode: Not Supported
    Suspend Mode: Not Supported
    Active Off Mode: Not Supported
    * Other names and brands are the property of their respective owners.

So as far as I can tell from that, it's basically telling me that my laptop is stuck at 60hz and can't go any higher. Is there anything I can do? I really hate 60hz.

Re: Refresh rate issues?

Wow. I'm assuming I must have stumbled across a dead website that nobody ever goes on anymore, or you people just aren't very talkative.

Yoohoo. Hello? Would appreciate the help here. If you guys can't help me, be kind and at least redirect me to a site that CAN.

Just reply, at the very least. Even just a single letter post.

Comment

Never noticed your original post. Anyway .... most (if not all) lcd monitors default to 60hz and that is where they should be left at unless you really want to try to fry the thing. Increasing refresh rate on a laptop is not desirable and has no advantage since flat panel monitors do not refresh in the same manner as CRT and will not cause the same eyestrain issues.
      Antec 900 case (4 120mm and 1 200mm lighted fans + UFO flashing light set + 2 12" and 1 6" Mutant Mods meteor lights) - Aerogate ll thermal controller - Asus M2N-e SLI - AMD 64 X2 AM2 6400+ - Corsair TX650 PSU - MSI 450GTS Cyclone OC - 2 X 2GB Patriot Extreme Performance PC2 6400 RAM - SATA 320 GB Seagate HD, SATA 300GB Maxtor HD and IDE 80 GB Samsung HD - Floppy Drive/Card Reader Combo - LG SuperMulti Lightscribe 18x DVD RW - Plextor PX-716A DVD r/rw - Windows 7 Home Premium 64

Crude but Effective ... it is a way of life.

Comment

/sarcastic humor toggled on/. ...5 days later..... no response..... not the answer you wanted? Oh well. You're welcome anyway. Have a nice life and I'm so glad I was able to answer in a timely manner. /sarcastic humor toggled off/
        Antec 900 case (4 120mm and 1 200mm lighted fans + UFO flashing light set + 2 12" and 1 6" Mutant Mods meteor lights) - Aerogate ll thermal controller - Asus M2N-e SLI - AMD 64 X2 AM2 6400+ - Corsair TX650 PSU - MSI 450GTS Cyclone OC - 2 X 2GB Patriot Extreme Performance PC2 6400 RAM - SATA 320 GB Seagate HD, SATA 300GB Maxtor HD and IDE 80 GB Samsung HD - Floppy Drive/Card Reader Combo - LG SuperMulti Lightscribe 18x DVD RW - Plextor PX-716A DVD r/rw - Windows 7 Home Premium 64

Crude but Effective ... it is a way of life.

Comment

Haha. Sorry about that. I just didn't think anyone would reply so I stopped checking after a while.

Anyways, but alot of my friends, my dad's, and my sister's monitors are all higher than 60, and they're all LCD too. Some of them are also laptops. Since my sister's is in Toronto right now and I can't exactly call her, I checked my dad's computer, and it's at 75hz, and just seems a whole lot...smoother. When comparing my junky little laptop to other computers, it just...Sucks, I guess. And I do get eye strain from my laptop.

Comment

Working...
          X