Sims2, new card, loss of sleep

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sims2, new card, loss of sleep

Have a dimension4600, 2.4ghz, 2gig memory, bought new card Geforce 7600GT 512 GDDR2 put it in, replaced power with 410w. Then check out the frames per second and it is running around 8.5 average, 25 is supposed to be adequate. Used Driver cleaner Pro and installed driver 169.21 with no difference. I don't know what else to look at. Even when I lower the graphics the FPS does not get much better. Did I mention I am married to simmerqueen- She's not happy! Neither am I for that matter. I thought we could upgrade this computer for her to play her game she loves it but I can't figure out why it still lags. Any help or direction would be appreciated.
    Thanks.

Re: Sims2, new card, loss of sleep

I am not familiar with that particular Dell model of computer, but what video card did you replace? If you did not replace a card but moved from onboard graphics to the one you bought, you should go into the BIOS and disable the onboard one.
    Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
    My Toys

Comment

Replaced a Nvidia FX5200 card. We did notice something new now the display seems to shimmer you can notice it if you stare at printed material on the screen flickers seem to run through it. I am really new at this so I assume that if there is a card there is no onboard graphics?

Comment

No, there will not be onboard graphics to worry about if you physically replaced a video card, but since they are both nVidia absed adapters you should not have had any issues to speak of. You mention you replaced the power supply... did you replace it with a Dell branded one? I know in the past Dell has been very anal about using proprietary power supplies and the main block is not really compatible with most motherboards. This also means that a Dell PSU will likely give you problems if you try to use it on a non-Dell system board.
        Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
        My Toys

Comment

PC Power and Cooling Silencer 410w, +12v@23A Says that it was made for the Dimension 4600 along with other models in the Dell line.

Comment

Working...
          X