I need HDTV cabling help.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I need HDTV cabling help.

I had my cable company bring over a HDTV converter box and install it to my bedroom HD LCD TV yesterday. I was browsing through the HD lineup to judge how much better the HD channels looked compared to the regular ones and I can't really notice any difference. I noticed they still used my cheap old Coaxial TV cable to go from the wall to the HD converter. Can a regular coax cable (RJ59) be used for an HD signal or do you need a special type of Coaxial cable? Also from the HDTV converter to the LCD TV, they used HDTV component cables instead of a HDMI cable. This is probably not that big of deal expecially considering the possible bottleneck stemming from the wall to HD converter cable as mentioned above but I was thinking HDMI might be better if used but the cable clerk told me there is no difference in picture quality between the two types of cable when I called them.

Re: I need HDTV cabling help.

What did you buy? An HD converter is a device that converts HD signal so that a regular, NON HD TV can display it. Make sure this is not what you have.

Comment

Originally posted by matm347
      What did you buy? An HD converter is a device that converts HD signal so that a regular, NON HD TV can display it. Make sure this is not what you have.
      A converter is what I think the cable company calls it, but anyway its a box that our cable company rents out to get HDTV. On the front it says Dual TunerDVR/HDTV capable, its made by Motorola and also is labled Interactive digital communications. They replaced my old digital cable box for this one and installed it since I requested HD channels. If its not what its suppose be then my cable company screwed up but I'm highly doubting that they would bring the wrong box over and install it since HDTV was the only reason I called them over in the first place. I was dispointed to see that the box had no HDMI hookup just component and DVI. I went to Walmart and picked up a DVI to HDMI cable so I could use the component jacks in the back of my TV for my DVD player. I'm still thinking the wall/outside source should have a better cable than an RJ59 coax cable running to the converter/box or whatever it is really called but I called my cable company again and they reassured me that that is all they use. This must be all I'm going to get out of it:(....

Comment

The RJ59 coax is standard for delivering signal to your box. You shouldn't really worry about that. It's whats running out of your box that you should pay attention to.

Don't get caught up in the huge cable hype. You can buy good cables to run out of your box for decent prices. What your looking for is quality cables that won't fall apart on you. So watch the prices and don't get snagged by the pretty looking cables that do just as much as the ones next to them for half the price.

Comment

Originally posted by VAGUE
          The RJ59 coax is standard for delivering signal to your box. You shouldn't really worry about that. It's whats running out of your box that you should pay attention to.
          O.K. thanks, RJ59 sounds like its not a bottleneck like I thought it could be. Can DVI and componet display HD as good as HDMI or do you think I should call my cable company and try to demand an updated box with an HDMI port if they have them? I'm using a DVI to HDMI cable for HDTV right now since this box has no HDMI port.

Comment

There isnt much of a diffirence. They are equivalant. There are alot of people that run the HD recievers via componet that say they look the same.

Comment

My cable box froze up a couple days ago so I called my cable company. They replaced the box with one that has a HDMI port on it. I went back to Walmart and exchanged my DVI to HMDI cable for a HDMI to HDMI cable and I must say there is quite a noticable difference in picture quality. I'm not sure if it was the old box or the cables but I'm satisfied with the picture now .
              Thanks for input people.......

Comment

Working...
              X