Is my X800 damaged??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is my X800 damaged??

OK, this has been bugging the helll out of me for the past weeks...
    It all started about a month ago, when I got Oblivion. It would initially work, but after some time it would hang up. After a week, I was down to 15 minutes of playing time before the f***er would crash my comp. This only happened outdoors. So I got fed up and removed it, hoping for a patch. Oh, and I did try the various "fixes" on the elderscrolls forums, but that messed up my comp so bad I had to reformat (no big deal tho, it was due ). Once I got windows up and running again, I again tried Oblivion. And guess what? It wouldn't even work for 5 mins. before it crashed!! But that's not the only problem. Now, neither Doom 3 nor Quake 4 works, either! In the case of Quake 4 though, the graphics freeze up but the game keeps on running (I can hear myself getting slaughtered in the background). I can manage to close down Quake and Doom without rebooting, but Oblivion is a hopeless case...
    The only decent pointer I've recieved is that when Oblivion crashes, it's a "thread stuck in device driver" error, or something like that...
    Obviously, there's a problem with the graphics subsystem (unless I'm missing something), and before you ask, yes, I've tried disabling all my overclocks and loading defaults on the mobo and no, I't didn't help.
    Temps shouldn't be a problem, the X800 shows a maximum of 51 degrees C on load overclocked, even less stock, and the CPU never goes above 44 degrees C.
    I'm using the latest drivers (catalyst 6.4, ForceWare 6.70, directX april release, dotNET 1.1 and 2.0 etc etc), everything patched, latest BIOS and stuff like that.
    UT 2004 and HL2 work fine tho!

As always, I'd be very greatful for any help!

Re: Is my X800 damaged??

The best advice I can offer is to try the 6.3 drivers. I haven't used the 6.4's due to alot of reports of screwy performance.
    GIgabyte GA-990FXA-UD3
    AMD FX8120 @ 4GHz
    Patriot 1866MHz EL series 2X4GB DDR3
    Powercolour HD 6970 2GB w/XFX 8800GT 512MB Hybrid PhysX
    Creative X-FI titanium HD w/Technics class A 300W amp and tower speakers
    PC P&C 500W PSU
    2TB Seagate
    Coolermaster 690II w/Corsair H100 tucked under the hood

Comment

Well, I've tried those alredy - and the 6.2 drivers as well. Please don't tell me I've got to reformat again!

Comment

I'd suggest you just RMA it. I doubt there's any software fix, and the rest of the hardware looks fine.

Comment

I replaced the cooler around christmas for an ATI silencer 5, would this void my warranty?

Comment

OK, I've noticed that only newer games are affected by this. I tried HalfLife 2 again, and *surprise surprise* the same thing happens!
            Unreal Tournament and Unreal Tournament 2004 are unaffected by this though, although when I tried playing UT2004 with the OpenGl engine, it was wery stuttery, so I'm guessing this only affects newer OpenGL games and Direct3D9 games. Does that mean the card's screwed? I just want to make sure it is before I send it in, I bought it in Poland last October, so with me being in Sweden, it's a little troublesome to return it...
            Last edited by ifander; 05-23-2006, 05:14 PM.

Comment

OK, this thread is pretty dead, but I'd still like to check this with you before I give up...
              If the game is artifacting like hell, but fraps records the game normally (no artifacts), what does that tell you? The card is obviously broken or something, because if it were a driver/software problem, it would show up in fraps as well. Right? Or am I completely wrong?

Comment

That's probably true. Physical artifacts indicate something is wrong with the transmission to the monitor, not that something is being rendered improperly.

Comment

OK then, thanks!

Comment

Working...
                  X