Ga-k8vnxp + Ati X800xl Agp 256mb problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ga-k8vnxp + Ati X800xl Agp 256mb problems

Ive upgraded my video card cuse my old Sapphire Radeon 9600XT toasted. Now I bought a ATI X800XL AGP 256MB.

My problem is everytime I install the Catalyst drivers, I lose my video and goes black, it freezes on 2D and 3D application or corrupted graphics followed by a total freezing. Ive did a clean install of windows XP Pro and still have some issues. Ive disable the Fast Write option, tweaked with the AGP Aperture size, did a failsafe bios loading also and updated my Bios to F13. I tried catalyst 5.5, 5.6, 5.7 and 5.8 the latest one available from ATI site.

All I know its not Power Supply issues. Ive disconnected everything beside the MOBO power and my Raid 0.

Have I run into a defective video card ??? Any other suggestion guys ? Mobo is incompatible with this card ? Ive run the X800XL on another computer who has 3 years and it WORKS.... Anyway Im pissed !!!

Here's my system spec

A64 3200+ 754
    MTB GA-K8VNXP
    1gig of Kingston ram
    2x 120gb Samsung (Raid 0)
    1x 160gb Samsung (Ide)
    LG DVD Burner 4163
    LG Combo DVD-ROM/CD Burner
    ATI X800XL AGP 256MB
    Creative SB Live! 5.1 Digital
    Onboard Lan
    Ive got a fan controller with 6 fans cooling my PC
    PSU Antec TruPower 430Watts.

Re: Ga-k8vnxp + Ati X800xl Agp 256mb problems

RMA the board for a new one. You're running into issues that I've seen when I happen to get a dead board. It happens from time to time, but as long as the board is replaced with a minimum of hassle, its all good.
    Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
    My Toys

Comment

Make sure you uninstall the drivers, restart, then install the latest ones. Use the Control Panel, not the Control Center. If it still doesn't work with that card, but other video cards work in that system, and that card works in other systems, then something is seriously screwed up, and it's probably a bad motherboard. But try another video card in that same system.

Your probably right on the PSU. RAID 0, a GB of RAM, an X800XL, and the CPU and motherboard are quite a bit on their own, though I'd imagine a 430W Antec can handle them. But bhetween the 3 HDDs, two CD drives, seven fans (case + CPU), sound card, CPU, motherboard, and video card, it might have some problems. I'd blame the PSU immediately, but this is a socket 754 system, which consumes significantly less power than a socket 939 system.

Edit: Didn't see Darth's post, but he's probably right. I'd still try another video card in the same system, though the fact that the card works in another system does seem to point to the motherboard quite a bit in and of itself.

Comment

Originally posted by Yawgm0th
        Make sure you uninstall the drivers, restart, then install the latest ones. Use the Control Panel, not the Control Center. If it still doesn't work with that card, but other video cards work in that system, and that card works in other systems, then something is seriously screwed up, and it's probably a bad motherboard. But try another video card in that same system.

Your probably right on the PSU. RAID 0, a GB of RAM, an X800XL, and the CPU and motherboard are quite a bit on their own, though I'd imagine a 430W Antec can handle them. But bhetween the 3 HDDs, two CD drives, seven fans (case + CPU), sound card, CPU, motherboard, and video card, it might have some problems. I'd blame the PSU immediately, but this is a socket 754 system, which consumes significantly less power than a socket 939 system.

Edit: Didn't see Darth's post, but he's probably right. I'd still try another video card in the same system, though the fact that the card works in another system does seem to point to the motherboard quite a bit in and of itself.
        Well for what you guys telling me its the motherboard. Im about to change that mutha !!! I hate to tell this lol. Im low now on cash.

Ive did everything I think I could do (im a technician in computers).

tx !

Comment

Hi,

Just a question - Do you have any memory tweaks in the reg editor Session manager memory management page file settings? ATI cards rely on the pagefile, even though they have loads of onboard memory.

Also, there's probably remnants of the old system there, do an OS reinstall, system restore, or clean image.

Just a thought, but you probably solved it by now .

Phil
          Last edited by PhilNorris; 09-22-2005, 07:08 AM.

Comment

Working...
          X