Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dvd viewing issues

Hey all,
    Firstly i'd like to say cheers for all the helpful posts on this site.
    I havent needed to register as I could generally find what i was looking for with out posting.
    So im a long time viewer first time poster.

In March I bought a Dell XPS 4 system with an 19"" ultra Sharp flat panel monitor. And I have a GeForce 6800 256mb Graphics card.
    The problem im having is in viewing DVD's. They just don't apear crystal clear with deep blacks becoming grainy. Now im not sure if this is the monitor or the software im using(WMP with nVidia pure video decoder) Is there better free software or is this the penalty for using a Flat Panel?
    Or is there something on my graphics card I need to turn on.

Cheers for any assistance!

P.s. I know what ur saying about my rig Dell and all but It is my first rig worth talking about and I am learning about components/ tweeking buildin etc before I build my own.
    A

Re: Dvd viewing issues

darth, all I can say is rty getting power DVD or Windvd7...However son't spend to much money cuz that's prolly not ur problem. Its prolly not the moniter...Flat panels usually produce the best quality dvd images. Drivers maybe??? Thats all I Could guess.

Comment

Thanks for the reply,
      But im sure its not drivers as i make a point of updating all when they are released. Just got the new nVidia ones in July. Is there any really good quality DVD that someone knows to reall ytest if its my display. I could be that the DVDs im watching havent been that good quality. Any suggestions?

Comment

you could try nDVD its a free: http://www.dnsoft.be/

i've had weird display problems when using windows media player or real player to playback DVDs, doesn't Dell ship all its computer with DVD drives with a Dell brnaded copy of powerDVD? all the optiplex machines we have where i work came with PowerDVD.

Comment

check to see whether your player is using software or hardware decoding - the nVidia DVD player that came with my GF6800 defaulted to hardware - which was a problem - after I switched to software it looks great.

Comment

Some of the ATI boards will do the same thing. For whatever reason, many of the software packages do not respond well with the hardware mode.

Welcome back RDR... been a long time!
            Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
            My Toys

Comment

Originally posted by Darthtanion

Welcome back RDR... been a long time!

Thanks Darth

......I still look in from time to time

Comment

Working...
              X